Chapter 66

✧.* No time for goodbyes ✧.*

The trip to the hospital was unfamiliar and heavy with emotion

The trip to the hospital was unfamiliar and heavy with emotion. James guided his sister through the sterile, quiet corridors, each step echoing off the pale walls. Their parents' rooms were side by side, a small comfort in the otherwise stark setting.

The silence in the hospital was unsettling, especially given its usual connotation of urgent pleas and desperate cries. Here, it felt different—an eerie calm that contrasted sharply with the turmoil inside them.

James paused at the door to their parents' rooms, his hand gripping the handle with a mixture of trepidation and resolve. He glanced at his sister, offering a reassuring nod before pushing the door open.

Inside, the rooms were lined with equipment that hummed softly, monitors beeping in a rhythmic, almost soothing cadence. Their parents lay in adjacent beds, the outlines of their forms obscured by blankets and the faint, clinical glow of the room's lighting.

Their mother, pale but serene, seemed to be resting quietly, while their father appeared to be drifting in and out of consciousness, his breathing steady but labored.

James stepped closer to their father's side, his face etched with concern. He reached out, gently taking his father's hand in his, feeling the coldness of the skin. "Hey, Dad," he said softly, though he knew his father might not hear him. "We're here."

His sister moved to their mother's bedside, her expression a blend of worry and tenderness. She took her mother's hand, lightly squeezing it as if to offer some reassurance through her touch.

The quiet of the room was a stark reminder of the gravity of their situation. James and his sister exchanged glances, both understanding the unspoken weight of the moment. This visit was not just a physical journey but an emotional one—one filled with hope and fear, uncertainty and longing.

In the hushed stillness, they settled into their respective places by their parents' beds, seeking comfort in their presence while grappling with the harsh reality of their situation.

Victoria looked at James, her voice trembling slightly as she asked, "What happened?"

James's expression was heavy with sorrow, his eyes reflecting a sadness Victoria had rarely seen in him. "They got Dragon Pox," he said, his voice barely above a whisper. "And they've been getting sicker each day."

Victoria's heart ached at the sight of her brother's anguish. She reached out to him, her own eyes filling with tears. "Is there anything that can be done? Any treatment?"

James shook his head, his face lined with despair. "Not really. Dragon Pox is severe, and it's been progressing rapidly. The healers are doing what they can, but..." He trailed off, unable to finish the sentence.

The weight of his words hung heavily in the room. Victoria sat down next to him, taking his hand in hers. They shared a moment of quiet, both trying to find strength in each other's presence.