A Bad Memory

TW - panic attacks

It was a cold, winter morning. The alarm was blaring, the clock read 6:30am. Autumn was startled as she heard the annoying beeping noise. She stood up, and took a deep breath in and out. Her head was pounding. She didn't sleep at all that night. She knew today was going to be rough.

"Today will be a good day." She said in her mind, trying to reassure herself. Her husband was still asleep in their bed, he looked so peaceful, all wrapped up in the covers. All Autumn wanted was a good nights sleep, her thoughts had kept her awake.

Memories from her childhood kept playing in her mind throughout the night. She woke up at least five times because of these thoughts. Her childhood haunts her, the bad moments never leave her thoughts.

The brunette gathered her clothes and got ready for the long day ahead of her. She slowly made her way downstairs, their home was dark and quiet, but the silence was deafening. Autumn made her way to the kitchen, she thought coffee would help her get through her day.

Her head was still pounding constantly, her vision was blurry, her mind was foggy. She tried to grab a cup from the cupboard, but it somehow got knocked out and made it's way to the ground, smashing into a million pieces. The sound made the brunette's ears ring. She was startled by the sudden noice, it had brought up another memory from her childhood.

Her father came home in a foul mood, Autumn and her brother were scared for their lives. The man had clearly been drinking. The children backed themselves into a corner, the older sibling standing in front, protecting the young girl.

Glasses were thrown at the children, glass smashing everywhere. The young blonde was in tears, hugging his little sister with all his strength, trying to shield her from the monster in their home.

Autumn started shaking as this memory played in her head, she held onto the kitchen countertop as she felt her breathing patterns change. The brunette's face was covered in tears, her mascara smudged everywhere. This was the first time in years that this had happened.

Autumn slowly lowered herself to the ground, hugging her knees to her chest. Her mind was racing, the thoughts would not stop, all she could think about, was how her father treated her.

Suddenly, the woman felt a hand on her shoulder. She was scared as she felt this, even though she knew who it was.

"My love, I'm here for you." Those words were faint, the woman's ears were still ringing from before. She looked up slowly, and saw her husband with a concerned look on his face.

Autumn suddenly jumped up. and wrapped his arms around the man she loved dearly. "I'm sorry, Winter." The woman sobbed into his shoulder.

"I'm here, Autumn. This is not your fault. I will never let you go." His sweet words touched the woman's heart. He knew exactly how to comfort her. He ran his fingers through her soft, brown hair.

"It's been hard, Winter, I can't take it anymore." She held him tighter, not wanting to let go. "My girl, I know it's difficult, but I know how strong you are. I know you can power through this, I will be here for you."

The woman melted as she heard the words of encouragement. She slowly lifted her head to face the love of her life. Her face was bright red from all the tears.

"Thank you, my love. I don't know what I would do without you."