12

Camping alone in the woods was... Not kind to the old robot. A sad, tired journey through trees and nature-- not that he hated nature, but... It all tended to look the same. That, and the bleak nature of his quest in the first place. It weighed heavily on his shoulders, but this was something that needed to be done. He would've reached the kingdom by now, if his mobility wasn't... Hindered. A long wooden stick assisted his movements, a branch whittled down by his husband, and as much as it helped, it wasn't going to get him there any faster.

That, and the general hesitation. If his father was still doing these vile things, and planning on doing something regarding creatures that should not have been mettled with in the first place, well... This was not going to be fun, or pretty. It was going to be difficult, and he didn't know what difference he could even make, really, but...

He had left it be for long enough. He had been complicit, and quiet for all these years, and for what. If the king was still not changed, if his first failure really hadn't deterred him, well what other choice did the eldest prince have.

3gs was quiet as he made his way through the woods. Barely any starlight peaking through the canopy of leaves above, trees much taller than he was. The night itself was peaceful, and though his journey was slow, he knew he was nearing where he needed to be. The mountains weren't far off, and... And the still sense of dread was sinking in each hour he traveled and got closer. Some parts of him wished he would've taken his husband with him. Just for the company and support, but he couldn't. That would be selfish, and... He himself didn't even know if he'd make it out of this alive. His only goal was to sneak in, and well... High treason was the safest way to put it in his mind. Pray that whatever heirs the man has would not be so... So cruel, and lost, like 3gs himself once was to the ideals of his father.

That was long past, and this was now. He had no idea beyond small word of mouth from passing travelers to the cabin how things in the outside world were going. All 3gs knew was that the man did have new... Sons, and he wouldn't be surprised if they were just as mechanical as he was. Cobs was never too much of a patient man, after all, even if it seemed so. With him getting older, surely he'd get more desperate, as well.

It was cruel, and horrible, the idea of taking life away from something. Someone. People have ambitions, memories, thoughts, hopes, all the sort, and tearing that away from someone was horrible.

But 3gs knew his father would be someone who deserved a fate like that. The king must fall for the prosperity of not just the kingdom he ruled, but for everything else, too. He may play this off as progress, but it is only cruelty. Progress should not be made at the price of anything living. Anything sentient. Something the king clearly failed to grasp.

But 3gs wasn't going to let any of this slide anymore. He had stayed in the dark for far too long, and--

And his thoughts were interrupted by the snap of a twig. He almost fell as he rushed to hide behind a tree, just straining to listen.

Voices. Two of them. Two sets of footsteps, distant, but distinct against the grass. His husband used to tease him about how he just seemed to hear everything, but in cases like this, it could save his life. 3gs was not going to be the one getting snuck up on, moving his hand to the dagger holstered in his belt, keeping his breathing quiet, and steady as the footsteps gradually became more clear, along with the voices, and what was being said.

"-- And she... Didn't really take that well. I don't think my mom is ever going to forgive me for leaving, but... Hey, I'm out here living my own life, so... It's fine." A pause, though the footsteps continued;

"Have... You ever thought about going back home?" The second voice spoke.

"Well, not... Really, honestly. I know my parents are getting older, but... They still have a lot of time. And I don't think I'm going to be able to forgive them for a while either,"