Miss Americana and the Heartbreak Prince

Willow's POV:

I haven't been in the industry for long, but I'm beginning to make a name for myself. More and more people recognize me on the street, and I get invited to red carpets and other events. Just a year ago, I couldn't even pay my rent, living as a small country singer in the middle of nowhere. Today, I've been offered a second record deal, paid off most of my debts, and moved into a nice apartment in Nashville. This past year has been the best of my life, even though I broke up with my boyfriend three months ago. I feel free and excited about new opportunities.

I was writing a new song on my bed when my phone rang. It's my publicist, Mr. John McDonald. He's good at his job but not very nice.

"Good morning, John. What's up?"

"Good news. I just got off the phone with the publicist of a very famous artist. They want to meet you. They didn't say what it was about, but I'd bet on opening some dates of her tour."

"Who's the artist?" I ask.

"Taylor Swift."

At those words, my heart stops. THE Taylor Swift not only knows about my existence but wants me to open for her tour.

"Hey, are you still on the phone? Willow?"

"Yes, yes. I'm sorry. Are you sure it's the Taylor Swift?"

"Yes, we are meeting them tomorrow at the Nissan Stadium at 3 PM."

"Okay, okay. I'll be there," I exclaim.

I am going to meet Taylor Swift. It takes me a long moment to fully comprehend what just happened. Taylor has been my inspiration since I was a little kid. I remember singing her songs in the barn when I was six. It's because of her that I tried out the guitar, and now I am going to meet her.

-

I'm wearing a short black dress that enhances my figure, leather cowboy boots, and my white cowboy hat. I burst out of my apartment. I have at least 30 minutes to walk to the stadium, and it's already 2:45.

As I hurry to the back entrance of the stadium, I look for my phone to find John before going in. I'm still searching in my purse when someone crashes into me, making me fall. He drops his drink all over my dress.

"Fuck, my coffee," he says.

"Fuck, my dress! Yeah, you could look where you're going, jackass!" I yell as he leaves me on the ground, all wet from his coffee.

He's tall and has blond hair. I can't really see him as he runs into a car and drives off. Thankfully, the fans who arrived early are on the other side of the stadium, so nobody saw our encounter except the two men with him and a few security personnel in front of the artist entrance. A security guard comes to help me stand up.

"Hi, miss. The public entrance is on the other side of the stadium," he informs me.

"Yes, I know. I'm here because I have an appointment with Taylor's publicist. Normally, mine should be here, but I don't see him," I explain, trying to clean my dress.

He looks at me suspiciously, but John arrives before he says anything.

"What are you doing? You're late! What's wrong with your dress? This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and you come with a stained dress?"

"Sorry, John. A jackass crashed into me and spilled his coffee all over me," I say as my eyes water.

"Okay, we'll find a solution. We don't have a choice."

I follow him into the stadium. We stop by the bathroom to try to clean the dress, but most of the stain is still very visible, even though it's a black dress.

We enter a long hallway where two men are posted on each side of a door. That must be Taylor's dressing room. At this thought, my heart beats faster. What if she doesn't like me? What if she doesn't want me to open for her because of my dress? A hundred questions race through my mind. Just as I finish worrying, the door to the dressing room opens.

"Hi, I'm John McDonald, Miss Willow's publicist. You must be Miss Paine. Nice to meet you," he says, offering his hand to the ginger woman in front of him.

I smile at her as she acknowledges my presence, but I stay quiet behind him like a shy little kid. They talk a little before she lets us in.

"She's getting ready. She shouldn't be long," she tells us.

John and Tree are speaking together when Taylor enters the room from another door. She's wearing her pink and blue bodysuit with matching heels.

"Hi, you must be Willow," she says, approaching me. She goes for a hug but stops herself just in time.

"Oh honey, what happened to your dress?" she asks.

"Oh, a jackass with coffee," I babble.

"Language!" I hear John.

"Sorry, someone crashed into me and spilled his coffee all over my dress. I tried to clean it, but..." I correct myself.

"Oh no, I'm sorry. I really like your outfit. It's the little black dress from Tim McGraw, right?" she recognizes.

"Yes, ma'am," I blush.

"We should find you something to wear. Tree, can you take care of that, please? I can't miss the show because I'm the one who sings," she winks.

"Yeah, sure. I'll take care of it. Before I forget, your family will join us after the show."

Taylor leaves at those words. Tree finds me some denim jeans and a white shirt that I style to fit my country outfit. She then leads me to the VIP tents so I can enjoy the concert. It feels a little odd because John doesn't stay with me but goes backstage with Tree. None of them have told me why I'm here yet. But I don't complain as I can watch Taylor Swift for free with a pretty nice view.