Chapter 17

TRIGGER WARNING: This chapter addresses themes of mental health struggles, near-death experiences, and complex personality portrayals. It explores sensitive topics that some readers may find distressing. Reader discretion is advised.

                                                  ୭ 🧷 ✧ ˚. ᵎᵎ 🎀                     

Caspian and I decide to visit another one of Maude's indie charity shops in Windshore. It's a cool spot supporting people with cancer. They sell gifts and clothing, and I'm amazed to see Saoirse's beaded jewelry here. It's not only unique but also a standout item—a top pick, as the cashier describes it. I can't blame anyone for choosing and buying it.

I smile the whole time as I skim my fingers over the accessories, clothes, and cute shoes. Curiously, I look to the end of the aisle and notice somebody checking me out. There he is—Caspian, leaning against the wall with his arms folded over his chest and his feet crossed on the floor. He looks like a statue of good looks and masculinity; he's just sexy.

He walks in my direction, and I'm just stunned, staring back at those Caribbean blue eyes. He caresses my long, straight platinum blonde hair and plants a kiss on my forehead, then on my cheeks, nuzzles his nose to mine, and finally claims my lips. It feels different. It doesn't seem driven by lust but by a sense of security—a kiss that gives a feeling of safety and a desire not to let go, as if it has already slipped away once before.

"Did something catch your attention?"

Other than him, here? No, not yet. Not at this point. "Everything looks great, and I certainly would want to buy something," which is not like me. "I don't want to leave without anything, you know." Again, not me. "But I just don't know which one."

Caspian chuckles. "It's fine; we have a lot of time. No need to rush. I'll be just there." He gestures to the stand near the door with summer-themed gifts such as beach bags, sun hats, sunglasses, and lightweight scarves, along with a lot of Saoirse's beaded summer bracelets, earrings, necklaces, and knitted tops. "If you need some pretty good advice, just let me know. You can trust me with colors, too. Don't worry, I watched Maude grow up." He brushes my lips with his thumb and kisses me again.

"Sure," I clear my throat, almost whispering, and watch him go. I bite my lower lip. I still want to ask him about that woman—whether she's just being friendly, which seems impossible, or if she recognizes him, or is it him or me? I've never felt so uneasy just looking at anyone in my entire life until I saw her, and I think it's weird to wave at someone you know nothing about. I try to shrug it off because the sudden anger I felt earlier disappeared right after we ate before deciding to drop by here. I'd like to think I was just hungry then, but the way he keeps peering outside the shop from time to time makes me feel like something is wrong.

"Oh, my, Poppy! Nothing is wrong," I try to convince myself. "You're just imagining things." But no matter how much I try to distract myself with all the nice stuff in the boutique, I can't keep my eyes off Caspian. I even attempt to hide behind one of the stands to spy on him without being noticed. Yet, when he struggles to spot me, his pale face only makes me move to a position where he can clearly see me. I can't understand why he's so wary, as if he's expecting something to happen and needs to track me closely.

I just need one item, and then we can leave. That's all. I can't bear seeing him so stressed, worried, and uncomfortable like that, but I also don't want to leave without bringing something back to the vineyard knowing that every single dime of mine means a lot to those the charity store is meant for.