09 | ursa minor

The auditorium is bathed in a warm light when Donghyuck sneaks in, settling in one of the seats at the very last row of the stall.

It's evaluation day for the ballerinas, and it seems that he had made it just in time for Chaerin's slot as he sees her climb up on stage. She's clad in a white leotard and matching tutu, her cherry-red hair that's styled in a low bun standing out in contrast to her plain attire. Even with the distance, he could make out the tinge of nervousness hidden beneath the mask of concentration she puts on, but it quickly melts away the moment she begins her routine, and Donghyuck finds himself not being able to look away.

Chaerin moves with a grace that seems otherworldly, her every move fluid and seamless like she's done it effortlessly a million times over— Donghyuck has no doubt that she has.

He's never seen this look on her face before. So... calm, and poised, a stark difference to the scowl she always wears whenever she's around him. Granted, that is to no one else's fault but his own, and Donghyuck is already starting to think of ways to change that— anything, to see her smile like this again.

The soft melody soon comes to an end, and Chaerin stands in the middle of the stage once more as she awaits for her comments from The Hawk.

Her heart is pounding as she awaits for her verdict, the silence almost excruciating.

"Chaerin," Ms. Han begins, tapping her pen on the clipboard in her hand. "I can see that your technique has improved. You've been putting in the work, and it shows."

Chaerin lets out an exhale of relief. It may not be much, but the instructor has never been generous with her comments anyway. This was the biggest compliment one could ever receive.

"However." There it is. "I've never taught you to hide your injuries from me. It shows a lack of disregard for your well-being, which can jeopardise not only your future performances, but your entire career."

Chaerin opens her mouth to explain, but The Hawk beats her to it.

"I don't want my students to think that they aren't able to come to me about these matters. While your dedication is commendable, it must also be tempered with wisdom. I expect better judgement from you in the future, understand?"

She nods, bowing her head slightly. "Yes, ma'am."

The Hawk's expression softens, but just for a fraction. "Take care of yourself, Chaerin. You're one of my best dancers, and if you want a shot at getting the solo, you have to treat your body with the respect it deserves." With that, she waves a hand to call for the next dancer. Chaerin bows again before she leaves the stage.

Honestly, it could have gone way worst. It feels like a huge weight has been lifted from her shoulders, especially now that she knows she's right back on track.

It's only when Chaerin makes her way towards the double doors does she see a familiar dark-haired boy, who stands up upon seeing her.

Donghyuck lifts his guitar case as he does so, a lazy smile on his face as she approaches him.

"What are you doing here?"

He shrugs. "Just happened to pass by."

She snorts. "Yeah, right. If you really wanted to see me, just say it, Donghyuck."

"Okay. I wanted to see you."

Chaerin parts her lips to reply, but nothing comes out, Donghyuck having successfully rendered her speechless. And as though that isn't already a rare feat on its own, she could feel her cheeks start to burn as well, leaving her wondering just when the hell the boy had started leaving such an effect on her.