Chapter 29

It was a dreary day. Grey clouds blanket the heavens making the sun look like nothing more than a dull lamp in the sky. Today is the day of the funeral of the fallen assassins of Frost Bringer. (Y/n) had meticulously prepared everything and ensured that nothing would ruin this event.

The chosen venue for the funeral was a remote area owned by the Garden and one of the many places where ceremonial Rites for Nymphs were performed. It was a serene location by a flowing river surrounded by ancient trees whispering secrets of time. The river, with its gentle and soothing murmurs, provided a tranquil backdrop to the somber proceedings. To some extent, it was a reflection of the depth of solemnity that filled the air.

Seats have been set up to accommodate attendees, medical personnel were summoned in case of unexpected emergencies, and a place of refuge was prepared inside the mausoleum should the weather turn for the worst. (Y/n) procured the best flower arrangements made up of gladioli, chrysanthemums, white roses, and daffodils that bloom radiantly. They were erected upon white wooden columns that decorated the walkway like a line of soldiers standing guard. 

Despite receiving a blank check, she handled the finances well. She didn't spend too extravagantly but she ensured that the event would be dignified and beautiful to honor the remains of the fallen and console the bereaved. 

Dimitri had chosen a unique method of honoring his assassins, at least, by normal standards. Ironically, it is one of the popular funerary techniques for Lyroris Radiatas.

"Is everything ready?" (Y/n) asked to one of her subordinates.

"Yes, Madame. We're only awaiting the arrival of the assassins."

"Perfect. We must get ready."

The remains came soon after and with them the assassins who mourn their fallen brothers and sisters. Mixed emotions could be seen from those in attendance. Rage blazed from the eyes of those who have loved deeply, sorrow and despair from those who care, while apathy and calmness from those who only attended for pretense.

The remains of the fallen were transferred to the front where everyone could behold them. Two lines of Lycoris Radiatas faced each other along the pathway, each possessing long slender swords housed beside their hips. The bigger and stronger assassins carried the remains over their broad shoulders. As they passed, the Lycoris Radiatas unsheathed their blades and raised them high. It was a symbolic gesture to ensure that the fallen would be kept safe by the agents of Death. 

Dimitri and his closest advisors were at the forefront, each of them bearing offerings for the departed. His eyes briefly met with (Y/n) whose radiant countenance remained passive. A look of mutual respect and recognition passed between them, no words were necessary to convey their thoughts to each other. 

The first phase of the funeral commenced with the blessing of the corpses. A eulogy was given and messages for the fallen were expressed. Spiritual leaders blessed the remains and uttered prayers for their journey to the afterlife. 

Lycoris Radiatas, adorned in their ceremonial outfits, moved gracefully to the center of the gathering. They wore elegant black clothes that hugged their bodies perfectly, making them reassemble goddesses from ancient legends. Their garments were similar but each was styled differently to compliment their individual features. 

Music began to play while a trio sang with clear heavenly voices. Their song was a solemn melody to which their sisters danced with graceful movements. The dancers were ethereal, each step and gesture mimicking the delicate flight of butterflies. This sacred dance, believed to deliver the souls of the departed to the afterlife, was a beautiful tradition steeped in reverence.