Chapter 3

I stared at the octagon on the screen; every time I shut my eyes, the projector light pierced through them. Professor Maples came to the lecture with a stuffy nose, so the bright projector wasn't the only thing keeping me awake. If you quizzed me on the ethics of business; I'd fail with flying colors. I only majored in the course because I lost a bet with Justin.

Everyone was either at work or school in my household. Being in my room right about now would be like striking pure gold. Being at home to clean out my closet was tempting enough, and taking hours to get rid of something I didn't want made my skin crawl. I could just change my schedule rather than take this course, but I didn't want to give Justin the satisfaction of laughing at me.

"How would you recognize an ethical company?" Professor Maples asked.

I grinned; finally, something I could answer. I raised my hand, hitting a girl who was struggling to get to the stairs. "Oh my god, I am so sorry," I whispered.

My bracelet snagged her hair. She yelped when I tugged, "That's not helping!"

"Okay, then what do you want me to do?"

"Don't pull, I've got-" Her foot slipped on the stair before she could finish her sentence.

As she spun, I was launched into the wall, pulling me down with her. I didn't even have time to curse. When we reached the bottom of the staircase, strands of blonde hair were stuck in my bracelet. The classroom buzzed with whispers and giggles.

"I told you not to pull," The girl yelled.

I turned toward her, "I didn't though. You slipped."

"I just started growing out my hair," She growled.

"It was not even that much hair."

"Do you know how long this took to grow out?" She questioned.

I winced at the pain in my thigh. This was the exact reason I was not too fond of shorts. It was out of these sweatpants this morning, and I chose these. Mom told me not to wear lounge clothes out of the house.

"Get back to your seat before I call the dean." Professor Maples said sternly.

"Yes, ma'am," the girl said and took off to the staircase.

Professor Maples didn't want or need disruption in her class. After what we did, we should have been sent to the dean's office. Instead, she showed us mercy. I limped to get to the staircase.

"Where do you think you are going, young lady," Professor Maples asked walking toward me with raised brows.

She locked her arm with mine and took me to the front row. Heat rose in my cheeks. She didn't trust me out of her sight. It was all because I couldn't stop tripping all over the place. I just wanted to go home and dip my leg in freezing water. Instead of carrying on with the lecture, she dismissed the class.

The classroom emptied with each student walking one by one downstairs.

"You, with the jagged hair," Professor Maples pointed at a boy who straggled behind the others.

"Get Miss. Jackson's things."

I smiled at the boy. "Thanks," I said as I limped to the door with my head down.

Miss. Jackson, can you stay for a bit?" Professor Maples questioned.

"Did I do something wrong?"

"Are you okay, Miss Jackson?" She inquired.

"My thigh hurts a bit, but I'll survive," I explained.

She stuffed a binder in a bag and tossed it on her shoulder. "I saw you raise your hand before the...incident." She scanned my disheveled posterior. "You don't have to do that; it is not elementary school, but good job trying to participate." She smiled at me before walking out of the room.