In a Lonely Place

Jughead's POV:

What makes a place feel like home?

Is it warmth and familiarity?

Some idealized, make-believe version of the American Dream?

Is it love and acceptance?

Or is it simple safety?

Or it's none of those things.

And it's a place where the captain of the football team is murdered.

Or maybe it's just a forgotten closet under a well-trod staircase, where it's just you and the mice and the spiders, like an extra in a Wes Craven movie.

—————————

Alex's POV:

I hear my phone ring during my lunch break at one of my stores. I checked to see who was calling and to my surprise, I noticed that it was Archie calling me.

"What's wrong, Archie? Do you hurt? Do you want me to call your dad?" I asked.

"Nothing's wrong and I'm fine. It's just that Jughead wants to know if you can meet up with him at the Sunnyside Trailer Park to talk to his dad to agree to work with my dad at the construction site after school?" He asks me.

"Of course I will. Tell him that I'll meet him there to talk to his dad," I answered.

————————

Around 3:30 in the afternoon, I went to meet up with Jughead to talk to his father. When I arrived, I saw him waiting for me.

"I told him not to call you," Jughead tells me.

"You know Archie. He's always worrying about those around him," I say.

"I just didn't want you to see my dad in this position," Jughead said.

"I'm not one to judge," I say.

We both walked to the trailer that Jughead's dad lives in and I followed him inside the trailer. We were looking around the room, noticing that Jughead's dad wasn't there.

"The prodigal son returns. Who's this?" We hear Jughead's dad ask and we looked each other in shock.

He was the man I bumped into at the closing at the drive-in.

"I'm Alexandra, but people call me Alex. I'm neighbors with the Andrews, which is how I met Jughead," I answered.

"The name's FP. A pleasure to meet you," FP introduced.

"The feeling is mutual," I said.

"How you doing? You look good," FP asked his son.

"I'm hanging in there," Jughead answered.

"Yeah?" FP asked.

"I came by to ask if you would consider going back to work with Fred Andrews," Jughead tells his father.

"Yeah, he called me. I said no. He fired me, Jughead. What kind of man would I be if I went back hat in hand?" FP asked him.

"For starters? A man with a job, trying to fix his family," Jughead answered.

"Talk to your mom. She's the one that walked out on us and sent the divorce papers, took your sister," FP said.

"What do you mean that she sent divorce papers? Did you sign it?" Jughead asked.

"Of course I did. Your mom and I stopped loving each other before she left with your sister. We only stayed together for you and your sister," FP answered.