A Wish for Sir Handel

Sir Handel loves working on the Skarloey Railway. He once had to spend a long time working in a stone quarry far from home and he missed his home and friends dearly. Sometimes, the little blue engine worries that he'll be sent away again and never come back. 

One day, Sir Handel was shunting coaches with Rheneas and Skarloey. 

(Rusty, Peter Sam and Mighty Mac can be seen pulling trucks.) 

One day, Sir Handel was shunting in the depot when Thomas puffed in with a flat truck with a tree laid out on it. It was a baby one. 

"Hello, Sir Handel." 

"Hello, Thomas, what's the tree for?" asked Sir Handel. 

"Didn't you know? It's the new wishing tree," explained Thomas, "the children who live up here in the Hills are sometimes sad that they can't go to the Wishing Tree in Henry's Forest, so the Thin Controller ordered for a new tree to be planted on the green. He will declare it the High Hills' Wishing Tree for the children here." 

Sir Handel thought this was a grand idea. 

Duke puffed in with the Thin Controller. 

"Ah, perfect! Thank you for bringing the tree, Thomas." 

"You're welcome, sir," smiled Thomas. 

"This will please the children...I often tell my children that trees don't really grant wishes, but they love to believe in the magic of it," chuckled Mr. Percival. 

Sir Handel chuckled too. 

"All superstition, sir." 

But Sir Handel couldn't help but wonder if the tree could grant his greatest wish: that he'd never have to be sent away again. 

Later, Duke took the tree and puffed to the green for the Thin Controller to plant it. Sir Handel wondered if he could possibly make a wish...but he was shy to do so in front of anyone else when he agreed about it not being a real wishing tree. 

Later that day, Sir Handel passed the green on the way to collect some passengers to take up to the Mid-Sodor Railway. He saw the tree planted in the centre and there were children already making wishes. 

"I wish I had a new doll," said one of the Percival Twins. 

"And I wish I could go to the beach this summer," said the other twin. 

Sir Handel decided to try and make a quick wish. 

"I wish that I..." 

Just then, Freddie puffed in with some log trucks. 

"Admiring the new wishing tree, eh, Sir Handel?" he asked. "It's nice to see the whipper-snappers enjoying the wishmaker, eh?" 

"Oh, yes, all nonsense, of course," chuckled Sir Handel with a blush. 

He puffed hastily away. 

Sir Handel saw Josh at the junction. 

"Have you seen the new wishing tree, Sir Handel? It sounded very exciting." 

"Yes, but um, don't go believing in it, Josh, it's all superstition." 

"Oh, um, sure, Sir Handel. But sometimes the best magic is in believing in things magical." 

He puffed away, leaving Sir Handel very thoughtful. 

"Come on now, Sir Handel," encouraged his Driver, "we'll be late." 

(He passes Duncan as he continues on his way.) 

After his passenger run, Sir Handel had to pass the green again and saw that nobody was around aside from some more children. 

"Maybe this time...I wish..." 

But this time, Rheneas and Skarloey came by. 

"What are you doing, Sir Handel?" asked Rheneas. 

"Oh, um...just um...watching the children." 

Rheneas smiled at the children, but Skarloey noticed that Sir Handel was blushing. 

"Were you by any chance....wanting to make a wish yourself, Sir Handel?" 

"Huh? Me? No, no, no! It's all silly superstition! Must go now!" 

Sir Handel rushed off. 

"What's got into him?" asked Rheneas. 

"I think he's a little embarrassed to believe in making wishes on trees," explained Skarloey. 

"Why? There's no harm in a little luck and belief." 

"Sir Handel is sometimes considered to be wise like us, Rheneas," said Skarloey, "maybe he thinks that believing in magic trees would make him a silly little engine." 

Rheneas understood. 

That evening at the shed, Sir Handel was sitting in the back right up against the buffers. He didn't want to be confronted about being caught making wishes. Skarloey and Rheneas came in and went up to him. 

"Can you come with us, please, Sir Handel?" asked Rheneas. 

"What for?" asked Sir Handel nervously. 

"We have some trucks to shunt up at the Quarry, but we can't finish before dawn without you," said Skarloey. 

"Oh, alright then." 

Sir Handel followed his two friends, who winked at each other.

But instead of arriving at the Quarry, Skarloey and Rheneas stopped at the green where the new wishing tree stood. Also waiting there was the Thin Controller. 

"What's this?" cried Sir Handel. 

"We know you wanted to make a wish," said Skarloey. 

"And that you were embarrassed to do so," said Rheneas. 

"But we want to make you aware that nobody would laugh at you for having a little faith in a wish, Sir Handel," said Mr Percival sincerely, "even I make wishes now and again, and sometimes on occasion, they DO come true." 

"Really, sir?" 

"Indeed. Now if you wish to make a wish," chuckled Mr Percival, "then do so and take your mind off worrying about it." 

Sir Handel smiled, looked to the tree and made his wish. 

"I wish I will never be sent away from this railway." 

Rheneas and Skarloey looked to their friend sympathetically. So did Mr Percival. 

He patted Sir Handel's buffer. 

"I have no intention of sending one of my smoother and more useful engines away, Sir Handel. For as long as I'm around, you will never leave this railway." 

"Thank you, sir," said Sir Handel happily. 

From that day on, Sir Handel passes the new wishing tree, watching it grow taller and more popular, and often thanks it as he goes past. 

(The End!)