SIXTEEN

The clock was about to strike 7, and I was almost ready. Just 5 minutes to go. Avery had dressed me in a stunning black bodycon dress that hugged my curves in all the right places. The dress was above knee length, and she had paired it with long, netted stockings that added a touch of sophistication. My legs were encased in long, black boots that reached below my knees, and a luxurious black coat completed my outfit. I felt like a million bucks as I gazed at my reflection in the mirror.

Avery had also done my hair, styling my medium-short locks, which fell just below my shoulders, in loose waves that framed my face. She had applied a light makeup look, enhancing my features without looking too done-up.

As I admired myself in the mirror, Avery stepped back and said, "Now, you look like a modest lady."

I raised an eyebrow. "Why do I have to be this ready? Isn't this too much?"

Avery chuckled. "It's not a date, but girls should always be prepared. You never know what's coming next."

I rolled my eyes good-naturedly. "You're such a mystery buff, Avery."

But deep down, I knew she was right. I felt confident and beautiful in my outfit, and that's all that mattered.

With a final check of my elegant purse, I was ready to head out and meet James. What did he have planned for me? I had no idea, but I was ready for whatever came next.

As I was about to leave, Sloane asked, "Where are you going, Carrie? You're so dressed up."

I hesitated at first, unsure of how much to reveal. "I'll tell you when I get back," I said finally.

Avery chimed in, "Don't worry, I'll fill her in."

As I headed out the door, Avery called out, "Be confident!"

I thought to myself, "What the fuck is with 'be confident'? Does she know something I don't?"

But I pushed the thought aside and stepped out into the night, ready to face whatever lay ahead.

......

I walked to the meeting point, my boots clicking on the pavement. The cold winter air hit me, but my coat kept me warm. I felt a sense of excitement and nervousness as,

I finally arrived at English & Cups, my heart racing with anticipation. I felt nervous at first, but then I took a deep breath and pushed open the door. I scanned the cafe, but didn't see James anywhere. I thought to myself, "Maybe he's running late. I'll just wait for a bit."

But as the minutes ticked by, I started to feel a sense of unease. 15 minutes turned into 30, and I began to wonder if I had been stood up. A voice in my head whispered, "What if he was just messing with me? What if he's laughing at me right now for being so naive?"

I felt a surge of embarrassment and decided to leave. I opened the door and was about to step out when suddenly, James appeared in front of me.

"Carrison, I'm so glad you're here," he said, flashing his charming smile.

I felt my heart skip a beat as I took in his appearance. He was dressed in a stylish English outfit, complete with a fitted blazer and dark jeans. He looked like he had just stepped off the cover of a fashion magazine.

I tried to play it cool, but my mind was racing. "God, why is he so charming? And so tall?" I thought to myself. I had to force my face to look upward to meet his gaze.

"Sorry, but I really should go," I said, trying to sound casual.

James raised an eyebrow. "You really don't want to go, do you?" he asked, his voice low and husky.

I nodded, trying to maintain my composure. "Yes, I do."

James chuckled. "Then why did you come so fast, so early?" he asked, his eyes sparkling with amusement.