Prologue

"What do you think makes a human, human?"

The class fell silent as our professor in Introduction to Psychology raised the question.

"Anyone?" Prof. Cortez looked around the room, and yet nobody dared to raise their hand. Even though it's an easy question which only asks for an opinion, the class knew that our teacher wouldn't ask such a question without a perfect answer in mind. She's kind, but also hard to please.

Nobody dared, except for two hands.

Umiling si Prof. Cortez nang makita ang kamay ko at ang kamay ng isa pa sa kabilang dulo. "The same hands? Wala na bang iba? Baka ubusin niyo na naman ang oras ng klase ko sa pagde-debate." Natawa ang mga classmates ko sa tinuran niya.

"Kaya nga, prof! Parang audience na lang kami rito," singit ni Adrian, habang sumang-ayon naman ang iba.

Naiiling na dumapo ang tingin ni Prof. Cortez sa akin. "Mr. Alvarez, let me hear your take."

I stood up immediately as I tried to compose my sentence flow. Everybody looked at me, waiting for an answer. "What makes a human, human, is how they behave. They behave differently compared to animals because of the gap in intellectual capacity. They are much more knowledgeable not just in the academe but also in the field of emotional intelligence. This is the purpose of psychology—to scientifically study the human behavior and their mental processes. How they project behavior and emotions, either good or bad, is what arguably exhibits the human nature," I calmly delivered as the words rolled flawlessly on my tongue.

Pigil-ngiting tumango-tango si Prof. Cortez bago humarap sa lalaking ngayon ay nakatayo na. "How about you, Mr. Silvestre?"

Nakakarindi talagang pakinggan ang apelyido niya. Tunog mayabang.

"You have a strong argument, but I think you somehow failed to recognize what enables behavior," he interrupted while looking at me before he adverted his gaze towards our professor. "I think that a human is a human when they possess the naturalities of being a human: the need and drive. These two things have their own double-edged sword. When utilized correctly, they can motivate you to achieve long-term goals; when uncontrolled, it is also what poisons the humanity in you. It's a paradox, just like humans. These two are also known to be a pa—"

"But doesn't need and drive what ultimately motivates behavior?" I rhetorically asked as I raised both my brows to challenge him. "In the end, what makes a human, human, would just boil down to the cy—"

"Cycle of motivation. That's correct. Motivation is the process that moves or directs human behavior. Exactly my point if you only let me finish my sentence earlier," he stared at me, eyes still as deep as a blackhole.

Umawang ang labi ko ng kaunti nang dinugtungan niya ang argumento ko. Doon lamang bumuhos ang realisasyon at napagtanto na ang buong punto ng argumento niya ay tungkol sa motivation ng isa tao. I would hate to admit, but between us, he actually had the best answer to the question. And I know Prof. Cortez thought the same.

Pero tama pa rin naman ang punto ko! Doon din naman papunta 'yon, sadyang naunahan niya lang ako.

"Para namang kayo na ang nag-discuss ng topic ko ngayon," natatawang saad ni Prof. Cortez. Nagtagal ang titigan namin dalawa ni Silvestre bago niya kami pinaupo. "Mr. Alvarez and Mr. Silvestre are both correct on their takes about being a human. They started from different views but still came up with the same conclusion, which is exactly the topic we'll be discussing today: motivation."

"Motivation is derived from the word 'movere' or 'motivum' which means 'to move'. Mr. Silvestre is right; it is the state of condition that activates behavior and gives direction. Mr. Alvarez also has a point, because behavior plays a significant role in being a human, however, motivation is what activates it to be put into action," wika ni prof habang inililibot ang mata sa buong klase.

The cycle of motivation is composed of four: need, drive, incentive, and goal. Need is the lack or deficit within a person that is either biological, psychosocial, or personal, such as food. Drive is the the energy required to propel a person to take action, such as feeling hunger. Incentive is something in the external environment that satisfies a need through responding and taking action, such as eating. Goal is the attainment of satisfaction and reduction of tension, such as having a full stomach.

Goal.

My goal has always been to be a constant rank one dean's lister, maintain my 100% tuition-free scholarship, and graduate my college program as Summa Cum Laude.

But sometimes, the attainment of a goal comes with a lot of barriers, and perhaps mine was when Hezekiah Van Silvestre appeared into my life and ruined it all.

My academic rival.