Chapter 1

"Izaach Andrei Alvarez, with highest honors!"

I felt like I've only lived and breathed for the sole sake of academic validation—to carry multiple medals dangling on my neck and have my name called with a title of recognition attached along with it. I indulge in the feeling of euphoria as people stare at me with adoration and sometimes envy; but honestly, the only people I want to be acknowledged by were . . . my own parents.

I graduated senior high school as the class valedictorian, not just in the STEM strand, but the whole graduating batch of Filamer Christian University. It was a tough battle because I competed with almost two-thousand grade 12 students, but it was all worth it in the end.

I'm currently outside the CAS faculty office to pass my requirements for enrollment. Nakaupo ako sa mahabang upuan habang hinihintay na ibigay sa akin ang subject form nang biglang may tumawag sa pangalan ko.

"Hey, Zach."

I raised my lowered head to look for the source of that voice.

"Ragi," I called to acknowledge his presence. "Mag-e-enroll ka rin ba?"

"Yeah. I'm with Gav, kaso nasa pila pa ng registrar 'yon," aniya bago umupo sa tabi ko. "By the way, are you enrolling for biology? I've heard from the rumors."

I almost rolled my eyes in annoyance. "You still believe rumors?" tanong ko sa kaniya na ikinatawa niya ng bahagya.

He slightly shrugged his shoulders. "I mean, it's not that far-fetched. You're the top student in our strand. Most of us are taking med-related programs in college," he pointed out, to which I nodded. It made sense as STEM students are mostly inclined to the fields of medicine or mathematics. Karamihan sa mga kaklase ko ay nag-enroll sa civil engineering, biology, education, o nursing.

But... I had a different vision for myself.

Magsasalita na sana ako nang biglang dumating sa harapan namin si Gavriel. "Ang haba-haba ng pila sa registrar. Mamamatay na yata ako." Pabagsak siyang umupo habang hinihilot ang paa.

"That's what happens when you're late," I said while smirking at him.

Gav pointed at himself, as if he's offended. "Ako, late? I literally arrived here earlier than you! I just had to attend the meeting with Hillside as a new member."

Mabilis na lumaki ang mga mata ko at pabiro siyang tinulak sa balikat. "Ba't hindi mo sinabi sa aming nakapasa ka sa The Hillside Echo?"

The Hillside Echo is the official school publication of Filamer Christian University. It's already such a big honor to be a part of their organization.

Masama ang tingin niya nang bumaling siya sa akin. "I did! Palibhasa kasi hindi ka nagbubukas ng GC."

E 'di, sorry? I was busy contemplating my life!

Tumayo si Ragi at Gav nang bumukas ang sliding window ng faculty office at ipinasa ang requirements nila. I also stood up when the working student called my name and handed me the subject form. I felt Raguel staring at me when he saw what's written on it.

"You're gonna take Psychology?"

His question made Gav peek at the paper on my hand. "I heard so many rumors about the college program you're gonna take, but it was never this," Raguel continued. "To be fair though, I'm planning to take Political Science, so I can't be the one to judge."

Nakakunot ang noo ni Gav habang palipat-lipat ang tingin sa amin dalawa. "You mean you're both leaving me in Biology? Ba't hindi niyo na-mention sa akin 'to?"

I stretched out a small smile. I know Gavriel's not mad, he's just surprised with our decision because we've been together in STEM, and now Raguel and I were taking programs which stray away from our strand.