6

06 | last chance

༻ 06 | last chance ༺

MATIAS
──────────
───

I would never have imagined myself babysitting a drunk woman, but here I am.

And to top it all off, she is a complete clutz. My two hours of sleep can only take me so far.

"Lei, Goddamn it. Keep still." I grumble, trying to hide my amusement as she nearly falls off her stool. She's been avoiding the bottle of water in my hand for the past hour as if she's allergic to it.

The stubborn brat turns her head, causing her heart earrings to jingle. "No."

"You're going to drive me insane," I grunt before shaking my head. "Come on, princess, it's for your own good." I say, narrowing my eyes at her.

She's been mumbling gibberish about 'hating me' all evening, despite her best efforts to avoid smiling at me. I remember her expressing her displeasure with the whole fiancé thing, and it's stuck with me. I didn't expect her to care.

I try my luck once more, pressing the bottle to Lei's lips. "Drink," I demand, flashing her a warning look. Her face deflates, and I hate the guilt that crawls up my neck.

"No, I want to dance!" Lei slurs, trying to break free from my hold but I'm much stronger.

I grip her small face firmly, squishing her cheeks, and a dozen questions begin to surface in my mind. Why am I having trouble leaving her alone like I should?

I draw in a deep breath and bend down to be at her level. "You can dance once you've had some water," I say sternly, and she gazes up at me innocently through her long lashes.

God, stop looking at me like that. As I stare down at her, I can feel my breath catch in my throat, and my mind goes straight into the gutter.

My fingers seem to be clutching the bottle too tightly, since it makes a pop sound and a small amount of water spills onto my hand.

Get a grip, Matias.

Shaking away my thoughts, I press the bottle to her lips again, this time becoming irritated. "Open your mouth." I press my thumb firmly against her lower lip, "Now."

Leilani gives me a frown. "You're no fun." She grumbles, but eventually caves in, drinking and pulling away when the bottle is halfway full.

"Good girl," I praise, firmly gripping her chin. "See. That wasn't too difficult, was it?" I smile when she shakes her head in response.

Satisfied, I return the bottle to the counter and look over at Jett. Standing behind the bar counter, he alternates his gaze between Lei and myself with an insufferable smirk.