Chapter 3: The Proposition

Lily Evans stared at the opulent surroundings of Ethan Blackwood's penthouse, feeling like a fish out of water. The marble floors gleamed under the soft glow of crystal chandeliers, and the panoramic view of the city skyline was breathtaking. She had never imagined stepping into such a world, let alone being invited to stay. The events of the previous night played in her mind like a dream—one moment she was serving drinks at a charity gala, and the next, she was swept into Ethan's charismatic orbit.

Ethan stood by the floor-to-ceiling windows, his tall, athletic frame silhouetted against the city lights. His tailored suit fit him perfectly, exuding power and sophistication. His piercing blue eyes, often masked by a veneer of indifference, now held a contemplative gaze as he turned to face her.

"Lily," he began, his voice smooth and commanding, "I believe we need to have a serious discussion about the proposition I mentioned last night."

Lily's heart raced. She had a vague recollection of him mentioning something about an "arrangement," but the details were hazy, clouded by the champagne and the overwhelming sensations of the evening. She nodded, unsure of what to expect.

Ethan gestured for her to sit on the plush white sofa. He took a seat opposite her, leaning forward slightly, his expression serious. "I want to be clear and straightforward with you. What I am about to propose is unconventional, but I believe it could be mutually beneficial."

Lily's mind raced with possibilities. Unconventional? Mutually beneficial? She couldn't fathom what a man like Ethan Blackwood could want from her. She was an ordinary girl, living a simple life far removed from his glamorous existence.

"As you know, I have a certain public image to maintain," Ethan continued, his tone businesslike. "Being seen with the right person can enhance my reputation and provide stability in the eyes of my business associates and the media. However, I have no interest in a genuine romantic relationship at this point in my life."

Lily frowned, trying to piece together his words. "So, you want me to pretend to be your girlfriend?" she asked, incredulously.

"Not pretend," Ethan corrected, his eyes narrowing slightly. "We would have a real, visible relationship, but it would be based on clear, agreed-upon terms. You would accompany me to social events, dinners, and any other public appearances where it is advantageous for me to be seen with a companion."

Lily's mind spun. It sounded like a business deal, devoid of genuine affection or emotional connection. But why her? What could she possibly offer to a man like Ethan Blackwood?

"Why me?" she voiced her thoughts aloud. "I'm not from your world. I'm just an ordinary girl."

Ethan's gaze softened, and he leaned back slightly, his demeanor shifting to a more relaxed state. "Precisely. You are different from the usual women in my circles. You have an air of authenticity and innocence that is refreshing. It would make our arrangement seem more genuine to the public eye."

Lily felt a mix of confusion and curiosity. She had never been described in such terms before, and the idea of being part of Ethan's carefully constructed life was both daunting and intriguing.

"What would I get out of this?" she asked, her voice steady despite the storm of emotions inside her.

Ethan's eyes locked onto hers, his expression serious. "In exchange for your companionship, I will ensure that your mother's medical needs are fully taken care of. All her treatments, medications, and any other expenses will be covered."

Lily's breath caught in her throat. Her mother. The thought of her mother's pale face, weary from the constant battle with illness, tugged at her heartstrings. She had been struggling to make ends meet, working multiple jobs to pay for the expensive treatments. This proposition, as bizarre as it sounded, could be the answer to her prayers.