Chapter 4: The New Arrangement

Lily Evans stood at the edge of her new world, a world she never imagined she'd enter. The grand entrance of Ethan Blackwood's mansion loomed before her, its opulence a stark contrast to her modest apartment. She took a deep breath, clutching her mother's medication bag tightly, the tangible reminder of why she had agreed to this peculiar arrangement.

Inside, the mansion was a labyrinth of luxury. Marble floors gleamed under the crystal chandeliers, and priceless artworks adorned the walls. A butler greeted her with a courteous nod, taking her suitcase. "Mr. Blackwood is expecting you," he said, leading her through the expansive foyer.

Ethan awaited her in his study, a room as imposing as the man himself. Shelves filled with leather-bound books lined the walls, and a large mahogany desk sat in the center. Ethan stood by the window, his silhouette framed against the sprawling gardens outside. He turned as she entered, his piercing blue eyes locking onto hers.

"Welcome, Lily," he said, his voice smooth yet commanding. "I trust the journey was comfortable?"

Lily nodded, unsure of what to say. The reality of her situation began to sink in. She was here, in Ethan Blackwood's home, as part of an agreement that felt surreal.

"Please, sit," Ethan gestured to a plush armchair. He took his place behind the desk, his demeanor all business. "I want to go over the terms of our arrangement to ensure we have a mutual understanding."

Lily's heart pounded. She had expected this, but the formality still made her uneasy. "Okay," she replied, her voice barely above a whisper.

Ethan leaned forward, his gaze never wavering. "Our arrangement is simple. You will accompany me to events, dinners, and any social engagements that require a plus-one. In return, I will provide for your mother's medical needs and ensure she receives the best care possible."

Lily nodded, the words hanging heavy in the air. "And... what about us?" she asked, her cheeks flushing. "What are the... expectations?"

Ethan's expression softened a rare sight. "This is strictly a business arrangement, Lily. I do not expect anything beyond what we've discussed. Your companionship is all I require."

Relief washed over her, but it was mixed with a pang of disappointment she didn't fully understand. "Thank you," she said, her voice steadier now.

"Good," Ethan replied, standing up. "The staff will show you to your room. Dinner is at eight. We have a gala to attend tonight."

With that, the meeting was over. As she was led to her room, Lily couldn't shake the feeling of being a pawn in a game she didn't fully understand. Yet, the thought of her mother's well-being gave her the strength to continue.

Her room was a suite, more luxurious than any place she had ever stayed. A large bed with silk sheets, a walk-in closet filled with designer dresses, and a marble bathroom with a jacuzzi tub. It was overwhelming.

The hours passed quickly as she prepared for the gala. The stylist, provided by Ethan, transformed her into someone unrecognizable. Her hair was styled in soft waves, and her makeup accentuated her natural beauty. The dress she wore was a stunning red gown that hugged her figure perfectly.

At eight sharp, Ethan knocked on her door. When she opened it, his eyes widened slightly, a brief flicker of admiration crossing his face. "You look beautiful, Lily," he said, offering his arm.

"Thank you," she replied, taking his arm and feeling a strange mixture of pride and nervousness.

The gala was a dazzling affair, attended by the city's elite. Ethan introduced her to everyone, his hand never leaving the small of her back. To the outside world, they appeared the perfect couple. But Lily knew the truth. She was here as part of a transaction, a role she had to play.