Chapter 14

Chapter Fourteen- The Summit

Kieran went to the dining hall, and was received alone.

"The king?" She asked a servant placing a plate in front of her.

"He's eating with Sir Dowan in his counsel chambers tonight, My Queen." The servant responded, their head bowed. Kieran simply nodded and ate her dinner quietly.

***

When she went to their bedchambers, Daegan was already there, throwing clothes into a bag.

"Is something wrong?" She asked, noting his stressed appearance.

"Maybe," he responded, lost in thought. He stopped packing and looked up to meet her gaze. "My cousins have called for a Summit. A business meeting. They want to make more trade cuts among our kingdoms."

"Is that very bad?" Kieran asked, sitting on the edge of their bed.

"Potentially," Daegan responded, continuing to shove clothes into the bag. "We may have to raise taxes by quite a lot."

"A lot?" Kieran asked worriedly. "Why can't you raise it by a little, then have your lords and ladies donate some money to the treasury? And we could donate too, our royal treasury is full enough."

Daegan chuckled and said, "It doesn't really work that way. But thank you for being so optimistic. I need that." He slouched his shoulders glumly and sighed deeply.

"So the clothes are for this Summit?" Kieran indicated the bag he was closing up.

"Yes. Unfortunately, in order to get to the Summit by tomorrow morning, I have to travel overnight. So I'm leaving right now."

"Oh no!" She exclaimed quietly. "Now? But it's so late. Will you sleep alright on the road?"

"It wouldn't be the first time I slept in a carriage," he responded, throwing the bag over his shoulder and walking towards the door. Kieran went after him and stopped him before he exited. She looked up into his eyes for a moment, debating with herself. Then she stood on her tip toes and kissed his cheek lightly. Daegan stood stock still as she did so, breathing in her sweet scent when she leaned in and trying not to look too surprised.

"Be safe," she told him, stepping back. "And good luck."

Daegan simply nodded, a goofy smile appearing on his lips, then turned and left the room. His happiness glowed in his heart again. Despite terrible news, she had managed to soften his worries once more.

***

Daegan awoke in one of the small bedrooms kept in the Summit tower. The tower was wide and tall, with a staircase leading up to various bedrooms, and a large meeting room at the very top. He stepped out of his bed, rubbing his face awake and stretching out his limbs. A page came in and helped him dress, then he made his way out to walk the long staircase to the top.

He finally reached it, taking a deep breath with a hand on the doorknob, bracing himself for what was ahead.

"Good morning, cousin." A sickly sweet voice cooed at him. Daegan looked up to see Queen Liadan gracefully floating up the staircase. "Sleep well?"

"As well as can be," he responded unhappily.

"Doesn't sound like it," she told him bluntly. Oh, Liadan. She never failed to hold anything back. "You sound quite frustrated."

"And you're not?"

"Please, cousin, I never let anything get me rifled."

"Yes, you have quite a cool exterior." He countered. She giggled, but only she could make a giggle sound so fake and uninterested.