Chapter 19

Chapter Nineteen- Betrayal

"You what?" Corbet took a step back, his face contorting into one of utter pain. He blinked and looked away, shaking his head, trying to grasp everything.

"I love Daegan," Kieran whispered again. The words filled her with a mixture of joy and sadness. She swallowed and continued, "I'm so sorry, Corbet. I really am. I never meant for this to happen, you know I didn't. But I couldn't help it. I never expected this to happen."

"Neither did I," Corbet interrupted loudly. "Of course I didn't, why would I? You promised me love and affection, you promised yourself to me. Me!"

"I know, I'm sorry--"

"You think telling me you're sorry will help me? That it will cover up all of the lies you've told me? How long have you lied to me?" Corbet, with renewed energy, marched over to her, making her back up against a wall post. "How long?"

"Corbet, please--"

"How long?" He roared. "How long have your touches been lies? Your kisses been lies?" As he spoke, Corbet placed his hands on her hips and began kissing her neck.

"Corbet, please don't! I'm sorry, I'm sorry!"

"I'm sorry too!" He yelled in her face. "I'm sorry I loved you!" He pressed himself against her and smacked his lips onto hers. He kissed her ferociously, not in a sensual way, but angrily. His lips hurt hers as they smashed into each other, and Kieran could feel herself beginning to tear up.

She pushed her hands against his chest and managed to get his mouth off of hers long enough to say, "Please don't do this, Corbet!"

But Corbet was no longer the Corbet she knew; he was beast-like. He was an animal that was only after one thing: what he had been promised.

Corbet threw Kieran down into a pile of hay, knocking the wind out of her. She struggled and tried to stand and run away, but Corbet threw himself on top of her and pulled her back onto the hay. He forced his mouth onto hers and bit her bottom lip, causing it to bleed. The blood had no effect on him; he went on to force his mouth down her neck, leaving a wet trail. Kieran cried loudly; how could no one hear her?

Corbet unknotted his trousers with one hand, holding her down with the other. He lifted her skirts, bunching them around her waist.

"Corbet please don't do this! Please!" She scratched at his face, digging into his cheek and managing to rip off some skin. Corbet shrieked and put his hand to his cheek. When he pulled his hand away and saw the blood, a new fury sparked in his eyes and he hit Kieran's face, making her head spin for a moment.

"Why are you making me hurt you?" Corbet yelled at her. "We love each other! Why can't you just love me!"

"Because I love Daegan!" She yelled back, lifting her head up and challenging him. "He would never hurt me like you, and that's why I will never love you!"

Her words affected him; his eyes automatically glazed over in confusion, his shoulders slumping in dismay. His lip quivered, but his grasp on her was still firm. She tried squirming out from under him, but to no avail. She was trapped and there was nothing she could do about it. Instead, she tried reasoning.

"Corbet," she softened her tone. "Corbet, there's no use in doing this. You'll only get yourself in trouble. Just let me go now and I won't say a thing. I'll even give you money and you can go far away. No one will know. Just let me go, Corbet. Please."

Corbet's tears flowed freely now, as he used one hand to stroke her face, the other still holding her down. "But we were supposed to go together. We were supposed to get married and be happy. We love each other."