One

!! (Minor smut warning) !!

Three Years Later/Present Day

There was something so serene about the pools at night time, especially in the winter months. With the way a light fog would coat the water top and the floor of the surrounding forest. The water that sprinkled from the waterfall was cool, and it would cause steam where it fell into the heated thermal water pools.

The water was so clear she could see the bottom of each individual pool. She would make small carvings in the stones around the waterfall and throw them down into the largest pool, making little wishes as she did. Then she would sink to the bottom, stare at the sky and the distortion of the moon from underneath the water, and she would swim underneath the waterfall, through a small chamber underneath the cliff face and into the cave.

Some nights she slept in the cave, enjoying the steam and heat that radiated from the thermal water. Somehow the water inside the cave was warmer than outside. She tried swimming to the bottom of the large pool in the vivarium-like cave, but she could never hold her breath long enough, and Selena could hold her breath for a long while. She could never quite see the bottom either. There was this constant coral-like glow coming from deep inside water, obscuring the bottom completely.

It was brighter at the night time, and Selena had tried for years to reach the bottom and see what existed. She guessed it was a thermal vent, where the source of all the pool's heat came through. Sometimes she thought she could feel the rumbling of the ground, from the magma chambers below. They must have run, flowing like rivers deep into the earth, beneath the pools.

She had only really noticed this recently, the rumbling of the ground and the brighter glow of the waters at the night time. She would ask Eli, but Eli didn't come much to the pools anymore, he spent most of his time with Callie in their own cottage. Besides, Eli couldn't hold his breath as long as Selena. Eli was good at a lot of things, better at most things because of his wolf, but Selena could still hold her breath longer.

He had slowly been building a home for Callie and their trying family on their own plot of land in the forest. It was about a ten minute stroll from the heart of the village, on the opposite side of the village to Selena. She told Eli he could build on the other side of the clearing on her plot of land, that way they would be close for dinner, could share the firewood, and the soil for Callie and her mother, the clan healer. But Callie wanted to build near her mother.

It would be more practical for her pups to live close to family. Eli and Callie wanted to start trying in the new year for a family. Selena told Eli he would make a fantastic father.

Callie helped her mother, learning the art of healing and herbal medicines, and Eli slowly turned their fairytale home into reality. It meant they also missed some dinners, leaving Selena to spend her nights alone, well, mostly alone.

Her mother and Beta Daniel were quietly seeing each other. They didn't want to make a big announcement, but Selena believes her mother had found her second chosen mate in Beta Daniel. She had moved into the clan house permanently, leaving the cottage to Selena.

Whenever Selena visited for dinner with Alpha Magnus and Luna Ofelia, she always had trouble finding her mother's room. Her mother didn't talk much about Beta Daniel with her, but her mother had started to remind her of the woman she was with her father, and Selena could only guess it was because of Daniel.

She hoped that one day soon, her mother would be able to talk to her. Selena was happy that her mother was finally happy again. Beta Daniel didn't have any children of his own, nor did he have a mate. Selena had never asked the specifics, but Beta Daniel treated her mother right and that's all that mattered.