The Beginning

Alex and Jamie sat at their favorite corner table in the cozy coffee shop, the same place where their love story had begun two years ago. The aroma of freshly brewed coffee mingled with the faint buzz of conversations around them. Outside, the city was alive with the hustle and bustle of a typical Saturday afternoon.

Jamie took a sip of their latte, eyes fixed on Alex, who was staring intently at their laptop. The light from the screen reflected off Alex's glasses, creating a barrier between them.

"Remember our first date here?" Jamie said, trying to inject some warmth into the conversation.

Alex looked up, a soft smile forming on their lips. "Of course, I do. You were so nervous you spilled your coffee."

Jamie chuckled, but it felt forced. "Yeah, good times."

There was a moment of silence, filled with unspoken words. Jamie's mind raced with memories of how things used to be - spontaneous dates, late-night conversations, and the feeling of being inseparable. Now, it seemed like they were drifting apart, lost in their own worlds.

"Alex, can we talk?" Jamie asked, their voice tinged with hesitation.

Alex closed the laptop and gave Jamie their full attention. "What's on your mind?"

"I feel like... like we're not connecting anymore," Jamie said, struggling to find the right words. "You're always busy with work, and I'm starting to feel like I'm not a priority."

Alex sighed, rubbing their temples. "I know I've been distant. Work has been crazy, and I'm trying to make everything work. But you are important to me, Jamie. I don't want you to feel this way."

Jamie reached out, taking Alex's hand. "I miss us, Alex. I miss the way we used to be."

Alex squeezed Jamie's hand gently. "I miss it too. Let's try to make more time for each other, okay?"

Jamie nodded, feeling a glimmer of hope. But deep down, they both knew that fixing what was broken would take more than just words.