The Argument

The apartment was eerily quiet as Alex walked through the door, the only sound being the faint ticking of the clock on the wall. It was late, and Jamie was waiting in the living room, a tense expression on their face.

"Hey," Alex said softly, trying to avoid the impending storm.

"Do you know what time it is?" Jamie asked, their voice strained.

"I'm sorry, Jamie. I lost track of time at the office," Alex replied, dropping their bag on the floor.

"This is becoming a habit, Alex. You keep saying you'll make more time, but nothing changes. I'm tired of feeling like I'm second place to your job."

Alex took a deep breath, trying to keep calm. "I'm doing my best, Jamie. I can't just walk away from my responsibilities."

Jamie's frustration bubbled over. "It's not about walking away. It's about finding a balance. I need more from you, Alex. I can't keep doing this."

"What do you want me to do, Jamie?" Alex snapped, the stress finally getting to them. "Quit my job? Is that what you want?"

"I want you to care, Alex. I want you to show that you care about us," Jamie replied, tears welling up in their eyes.

Alex's anger melted into guilt. They stepped closer, trying to reach out, but Jamie turned away, the emotional rift between them growing wider.