10. Aftermath

Veneer stops kissing me, making my heart drop as I pull away.

Ritz: "Ven! Veneer!"

I gently pat his cheek, but he doesn't stir. I put my head down to his chest, hearing very shallow breathing; at least he was still breathing.

I look around in a panic, not seeing the girls.

Ritz: "Freddy!"

He looks my way; his green eyes clouded in glittery tears over Rollie's mangled leg.

Ritz: "Ven's not waking up again!"

Fred shakes his head in stress; he doesn't know what to do. None of us do. I look to Dixie, seeing Cade hold her as Roman lies in her lap.

I can't find a group that's not horribly injured! I look back down at Ven, seeing the dried gash along his cheek where Cade cut him.

Stupid. This is all stupid and senseless!

I notice Ven shivering, so I take off my jacket and lay it over him. His sweater has a huge tear along his rib where something cut through him, exposing his rib. He's covered in pumpkin and dirt, so I can't tell the extent of his injuries.

I hear sirens sounding from town, police sirens. That's a good thing, as I know someone could be on the way to help. As with everyone else on the grounds, I watch as a fleet of police cars drive over.

I notice Ven's pale green car at the head of the fleet; it's his Father, the Mayor. I watch as the Mayor parks his car and runs out, a distressed woman following him as police officers run out of their vehicles.

Mayor: "Ambulances are on the way! The twister missed the city, so all vehicles and personnel will shortly be on the scene!"

I look back down at Ven, checking to see if he's still breathing.

Woman: "Where are my kids! Where are my babies!"

The Mayor's wife frantically runs around, her white shoes getting dirty in the mud. She looks strikingly just like Velvet. I watch after her as the Mayor approaches me. His face goes pale white as he sees Veneer.

I look up at the Mayor, our eyes meeting in a look that I can't find a name for.

Ritz: "I did what I could to protect him. He saved my life, sir. He's still breathing."

The Mayor's mustache twitches, and he looks back towards his wife.

Mayor: "Kathy."

His voice breaks as Kathy, I assume, runs over. She screams as she sees Veneer, going immediately into hysterics.

I've never seen a woman scream and cry like this before... it's heart-wrenching.

Mayor: "Please, Kathy. Calm yourself. We can't get you an ambulance as well."

Kathy shakes her head, glitter streaming down her cheeks as she cries over Veneer.

Mayor: "Do you know where Velvet is?"

Ritz: "Last I saw, she ran into the barn with my friends Orchid and Midori. I haven't seen anything from them."

The Mayor looks over to the destroyed barn; all that is left is broken red wood and piles of hay and tools that were flown into the ground.

Ritz: "My hope is they are in the storm shelter."

The Mayor nods and calls for some officers to start uncovering the storm shelter. He turns back towards me as ambulances sound in the distance.

Mayor: "I can't go with my son to the hospital. Could you ride with him? I will pay for your injuries."

Ritz: "I'll go with him, but... you don't have to pay for me."