Chapter 10

Warning: This chapter contains themes of self-harm, blood, and a conflict between mother and daughter, which some readers may find distressing. It explores the deep struggles and resilience of Avni. Reader discretion is advised.

In this chapter, you'll discover the true extent of Avni's hardship and how strong our avni is!

Before reading, please make sure to click the left side button and leave a comment on this chapter. Your feedback is appreciated!

__________________________________________________

Finally, the engagement took place, but neither family was happy at all. Swathi regretted bringing Avni to the ceremony; if only she hadn’t insisted on Avni attending, nothing like this would have happened.

Meanwhile, Avni was crying inside because she now realized that the man she was engaged to was even scarier than her uncle. She wondered how she would be able to live with him, especially since she hadn't completed her college education and was being married off to someone she perceived as a beast due to his behavior. She wished her father were there with her; accepting her fate was her only option now.

Reyansh was boiling with anger. He couldn’t believe what had just happened: he learned that he had been promised to someone long ago by his dadu and his dadu’s friend. Despite this, he had been convinced by his grandfather to go through with the engagement. When he arrived for the ceremony, he accidentally met a small, beautiful angel who made him feel things he had never experienced before. As he became lost in her deep black eyes and soft skin, holding her felt like a moment he wanted to last forever. But suddenly, his anger flared when he discovered that his soon-to-be fiancée had run away, and he was now engaged to her cousin—the same girl he had just started to like. But wait, was it merely liking, or was it something more?

Both were lost in thought, reflecting on how their lives had taken a complete 180°, while forcing fake smiles for the guests.

There was gossip among the bride's side of the family, who had come for Aliya's engagement, only to find out that it was Avni—still so young for marriage—who was now engaged. Sagar and his wife, Namita, tried to explain that it was a sudden decision, and while some guests were satisfied with the explanation, others still wore expressions of doubt and scrutiny.

As the guests began to leave after congratulating both couples, dada ji announced that it was getting late and suggested it was time to eat. Everyone then took their seats at the large dining table. Just as Avni was about to move towards her mother, the dada ji stopped her, saying:

"Avni beta, come sit with us," the dada ji said, pointing to the seat next to Reyansh. Avni looked at her mother, who gave a reassuring nod. Though Avni was reluctant, she had no choice; she didn't want to face further reprimand from her elders for disrespecting them. She moved towards the seat beside Reyansh, who sat with a blank expression, clenching his jaw. He clearly didn't want to sit next to her, but his dada ji kept a firm hand on his shoulder, preventing him from getting up.

Pulling out the chair, Avni took a seat while others looked at her with a mix of hatred, jealousy, and annoyance. As the meal began, the elders engaged in conversation, while Avni simply played with her food. She wasn’t fond of most of the dishes, and after the recent drama, she had lost her appetite. Additionally, being surrounded by strangers and sitting next to Reyansh, who had almost finished his meal while she had barely touched hers, did not help. Reyansh noticed her discomfort and occasionally cast small glances her way but chose to ignore her, focusing instead on his food as he eagerly wished to leave.

After dinner, everyone gathered in the hall, where the grandfather decided to share something important.

"As everyone is here, we all know the circumstances under which this engagement happened." Everyone listened attentively.