Chapter three: Addison and Joseph

ADDISON

It's eight o'clock at night and I just got back from the warehouse a couple of hours ago. When I went to the hardware store I ran into a dark Mexican complexioned man with brown soft looking hair and these bright blue eyes, his chin had a dusting of stubble. He was wearing a pair of blue jeans and a white t-shirt with a blue flannel, he had a pair of cowboy boots on and a cowboy hat on. His defined abs showed through his white t-shirt and I couldn't keep myself from looking at it. Holding his hand was a little boy who looked about five or so and he had blonde hair and blue eyes with a cute toothy smile, when he gave me my wallet I about had a heart attack, I can't remember the last time someone was actually respectful... In New York my wallet would have been gone and sometimes I expect things to play out that way.

I shake myself out of my stupor and focus on the task at hand, I decided tonight was the night to start the renovations and I started by moving my old twin sized bed and house furniture out of my old room and putting it all into the living room and and then I got the room ready to be painted with the gray paint I bought with the little inheritance he left me. I also managed to buy a full sized bed with a white bed frame and a new matching nightstand and dresser combo that I loved as a kid and love even more as an adult. I spend most of the night painting my old bedroom and getting rid of the awful pink color after tearing down my posters and throwing them away, finally around two am I crash into my bed which is all made up with a sage green comforter and white, gray and green pillows. I take a sigh and let my eyes fall on their own accord and fall asleep that night to the thought of that hot rancher from the hardware store.

The next morning I woke up to the sun shining in my face as I forgot to put the curtains on because I was too exhausted. I started my day by walking to the adjoined bathroom in my room and peeling my sweat covered clothes off my body before turning on the hot water. I sigh and step into the hot water, letting it pelt my back as I think about the nightmare I just woke up from. In the dream I had been sitting next to my dad while he was on the operating table and he had his heart failed and I kept yelling at the doctors to fix him but it was like they couldn't hear me and I had to watch him go still in front of them and then they just walked out like it was nothing. I scrub my hands through my soaking wet hair while I think about all the things I have to do today. I am midway through washing my body when the doorbell rings loudly throughout the house. I step out of the shower, my hair still soaked with water and soap on my arms as I wrap a towel around my torso, the door rings again and I yell for them to hold on while I hobble out of my room in just a towel.

I make it to the door just in time to open it and see the same rancher from yesterday in a sheriff's outfit with his hand poised to ring my doorbell again, I send him a worried look as I think about if there is anything I could have done yesterday to make him pop up at my door. His fiery eyes look straight into my soul before slowly trailing down my body when he notices that I am only in a towel and I can see the arousal in his eyes. He clears his throat and politely turns his head so he can only see my face before he talks. "Hi, I'm sorry to bother you... wait didn't I see you at the hardware store yesterday?" He asks as soon as recognition flickers in his eyes and I nod slowly, feeling vulnerable in my lack of clothing and knowing how this usually turns out I hold my towel closer against my skin as if It will protect me. I look out at the street to see an onlooker staring into my house and I curse myself because I know this will be all the talk in this damn small town. I grab his sleeve and gently pull him into the house before shutting the door so they have no more to see.

He looks at me a bit sheepishly as he brings his hand up to remove his cowboy hat and runs his fingers through his brown mop of hair. "Sorry ma'am, I just thought I would tell you my condolences and introduce myself, I actually um live right next door." he responds and I can tell he is trying to look anywhere but at me so I put my finger up motioning for him to wait and walk back to my room.