TWENTY-FIVE

"for this life i cannot changehidden hills, deep off in the main"butterfly effect, travis scott

hidden hills, deep off in the main"
butterfly effect, travis scott

"How is she?"

The soft voice that intercepts Shikamaru's mind drawls his eyes away from the sleeping blonde lying in the hospital. Her face was starting to recover a bit despite being swollen still, and her right arm was decorated with a purple cast. A few signatures planted themselves into the material in black ink, screaming the support she had from family and friends. "She's fine. They're still monitoring her brain waves to see if she'll wake up soon."

Sakura hums, fully stepping into the room with three flowers bunched in her right hand. It felt a bit awkward to show up announced, but she pushed through it for the sake of human decency. Maybe she hadn't spoken to Ino in a while, at least not since they were kids, but the girl had rushed to help them during the forest of death exams and it was her teammate that put her in that state. "I'm sorry. I know it must be hard." Taking another few steps into the room, she parts a single flower from the bundle, reaching it out towards him. "It's for her. I haven't really been able to stop thinking about everything, so I just thought of anything I could do; and this is what I came up with."

Chuckling at her and catching her a bit off guard to retreat into a dumbfounded look, Shikamaru retrieves the carnation from her. "It's okay, no one was expecting anything of you. It's nice that you care."

Sakura's face heats up a bit staring so closely at him, watching the way his sharp eyes crinkle a bit in his smile, his boxy nose suiting his features rather nicely. Hey, is Shikamaru actually pretty handsome? Throwing her face to the side, she waves the idea off. "It's just common courtesy, really. You guys did help us, so it must feel like a slap for Sasuke to have.. well.. yeah." She punctuates this with a sigh on behalf of the troubled Uchiha.

She knew she didn't have a good feeling about the whole thing. She doesn't know who the hell that was in the ring; but it definitely wasn't her annoying teammate.

"Ah, what of it?" The brunette lightly elbows her, winking in the same motion. "These things happen. It's her own fault, anyway. You poke at a bear, it's gonna eat you. Ain't that how it works?"

Sakura scowls at him, irritation oozing from her at his insensitive words. "What are you talking about? She's in a coma! It's not something to laugh about!"

Shikamaru's face immediately falls, an unnatural seriousness sweeping the usually lazy and hilariously cynical teenager. It draws her in, watching the way his eyebrows slightly furrow, his dark eyes running over the bed ridden blonde. "My teammates wake up from comas. My teammates don't die. They may lose, and they may be annoying. Outside of that; they're everything. So they just won't, you know, because that's just too cruel."