Act IV

"You're telling us in the one time we were tasked with not watching over you, the Prince held our General Mahamatra hostage, nearly killed him, and coerced you to call this 'magical spirit' to enter some kind of Oasis?"

Dehya gaped in utter shock, while Candace, concerned. Before the latter inquired, you interjected while flipping through pages of a book.

"No, I have not informed my Father yet."

"With all due respect, Your Highness, you should. For one, you have a good reason to get your wedding called off. Two, send them away!" Dehya cracked her knuckles. "I've been waiting to get rid of those numbskulls. Did you see how they've been treating us? We Matra may be soldiers, but calling us 'dogs' is low." She turned to Candace for validation of her point.

The latter, however, noticed your reservation. "Your Highness?"

In your thoughtful silence, Cyno answered, "Her Highness is worried about her people. The whole point of our King agreeing to the arrangement is to save Setekh from dehydration. Knowing the Avidya's malicious intention now, the Prince himself threatened to harm the Setekh if anyone hears of this."

He crossed his arms. "And knowing how he managed to have me tied up so easily, I doubt he was bluffing."

"Don't think we should be giving into his egotism though," Dehya remarked. "He's probably going to assume control of Setekh regardless of whether he enters the Eternal Oasis."

"Do not worry," you assured, speaking up again. "I have a plan."

"I believe it has something to do with that book?"

You nodded. "I have read about the legend of the Eternal Oasis. I do not remember ever it saying the realm grants a God's power." Flipping through the pages. "Though, I do recall reading this Jinni shares a notable power of its own."

"I am guessing that's the 'magical spirit' you were talking about," said Dehya.

"The Jinni had served under the Goddess of Flowers, or Nabu Malikata. Only listens to those worthy, which I assume is whoever is blessed by the Goddess herself." You finally reached the page.

Scanning the words, your fingers paused on an interesting detail. "Just as the Jinni is cautious with its master, the gateway to the Eternal Oasis opens only to those whose heart is deemed worthy," you murmured to yourself.

Suddenly.

You heard loud thuds beyond the library doors, hurrying down the corridor, as if panicked.

You recognized them as footsteps.

"Did something happen outs–?"

A voice boomed, muffled through the door. "The Prince has gone mad!" You also recognized that sound as one of the Matra.

"Defend our King!" shouted another.

Blood ran cold as you picked yourself from the seat, hands on the table. "Father? What's going on?" Your breath became shallow.

All four of you bolted out the library, straight to the throne room. It had not been three days since his arrival, yet somehow, your fiancé had caused unnerving trouble.

There was a dispute. Your eyes darted from the crumbling sandstone pillars to the shredded banners on the walls. Then to the Avidyan Prince, surrounded by his angry Rangers. "You're no Prince of ours!" one Ranger screamed, directing their spear at the young man. "You must be the reason why Lady Rukkhadevata, went missing! You monster!" yelled another.