Act V

An explosion...

A deafening rumble...

Expecting a hard tumble, your eyes shut tight.

Your back hit into some kind of wall.

And you expected a harsher impact, but you no longer sensed any movement.

You could hear yourself panting, afraid of facing wounds or damage. Finally, you peeked through your eyelids.

Hermanubis was above you, their claws held you gently and whose eyes narrowed in a softer way. This felt surreal. Before, you had only heard of powers that summoned a figure in fantastical books, but never witnessed. The violet hue of the Hermanubis figure was transparent, holographic even, so through them, the skies were still visible.

Dawn was beginning to rise.

However, the scattered fog of sand and dust from what felt closely to an eruption of a volcano remained in the air.

Liloupar tugged on your neck. It metamorphosed into a necklace, the tiny bottle charm twittering. Silent, yet you could imagine all the things being said: "This is atrocious!" "How could an outlander dare to wreck massive destruction?" "What in Nabu Malikata's name!"

You glanced down and found their summoner, Cyno. The light gold eyes of his headdress closed as he panted heavily himself. Sighing in relief, you crawled over the large claws. "Cyno," your voice muffled through the matter. "Cyno." You rested a palm on the holographic claw. As if you were holding his hand too. "I am unharmed."

He finally gazed in your direction and visibly relaxed.

"(Name)."

"You spoke my name for once." A breathy laugh escaped. "You could have informed me you bear Hermanubis's power. How have I not known after years of knowing you? Or rather, how could you not tell me earlier?"

"There hadn't been any need for me too. If I were to show you my full strength, Your Highness, I'm afraid your palace would not be standing to this day."

"Afraid it is inevitable despite so." You hummed. "Now, let me down, General."

Hermanubis gently lowered their claws until your feet reached the sand. The figure disappeared, retreating into the General's body. You rushed to Cyno and cupped his cheeks. "Are you injured?" You examined his features in worry, though not much could be seen with his headdress hiding his upper face. Violet energy streaks flickering from it.

"Few wounds but nothing more than that. I am the General Mahamatra." The shallow cuts that struck his shoulder blades and face, especially down on his legs, slowly closed up. Your touch giving a remedial and comforting feeling.

"You say that time and time again. I doubt I can truly bring a life back, you know. If a horrible fate catches you, my eyes would not be able to stand it."

"Does it make me all the more 'eye-catching' if it hasn't?"

"You–." A sigh escaped your lips.

He could sense your stare.

As well as a touch lingering from his cheeks to his shoulders. "..Are my injuries truly all you are checking, Your Highness?"

Now you sensed amusement in his tone. "..Whatever do you mean?"

"If I am not mistaken, I may assume you are entranced by my appearance. More so than ever."

"Am not. Only surprised." You huffed, averting your eyes. "Do not confuse that in your head, General."

"With all due respect, Your Highness, you shouldn't get 'a-head' of yourself either." Cyno husked, stepping closer to you, "You may have amused yourself with my reactions those times before, but let's not forget other instances where you hid behind your hands, full of fluster."