23

H O O N G J O O N G

Ateez stood on stage, their hearts pounding with anticipation. The atmosphere in the venue was electric, filled with the buzz of excitement and tension as fans cheered and chanted their names. They had just finished performing their latest hit, "Wave," and now, they stood side by side with other idols, waiting for the awards to be announced.

Hongjoong's mind was a whirlwind of emotions. The journey through this era had been fraught with challenges. Some members had gotten injured during intense rehearsals and performances, while others had fallen ill, leading to canceled fan meetings and fluctuating album sales. Despite their efforts, it had been a difficult path, and the pressure weighed heavily on him.

He glanced at his members, each of them showing their own signs of nervousness. Yunho shifted on his feet, trying to hide his anxiety behind a brave smile. Wooyoung fiddled with his microphone, his usual confidence replaced by a rare look of apprehension. San and Mingi stood close, whispering reassurances to each other, while Jongho, ever the pillar of strength, kept a calm but tense demeanor.

Hongjoong took a deep breath, his thoughts drifting back to his time in Celestial. The memories flooded in—days of grueling practice, the heartbreak of seeing their hard work go unrecognized, and the bitter taste of failure that lingered long after the awards ceremonies ended. He remembered Seonghwa's frustration and their heated arguments about their future. The sting of those failures felt fresh, as if no time had passed at all.

Would this time be any different? Or were they doomed to face disappointment again?

The host's voice boomed through the speakers, announcing the nominees for the Best Performance Award. The tension in the room became almost palpable, the air thick with anticipation. Ateez's name was called, and the fans erupted in cheers. Hongjoong's heart raced, each beat echoing the uncertainty and hope that filled his mind.

As the presenter opened the envelope, Hongjoong's thoughts spiraled further into the past. He recalled the countless nights spent doubting himself, the moments of wanting to give up, and the words of encouragement from his members that kept him going. He remembered Seonghwa's departure, the feeling of betrayal, and the resolve he had made to prove himself, to prove them all wrong.

The presenter took a breath, drawing out the moment. Hongjoong felt every second stretch into an eternity, his mind filled with the echoes of past failures and the weight of present expectations.

"And the award for Best Performance goes to..."

Hongjoong clenched his fists, his breath caught in his throat. The entire room seemed to hold its breath, the anticipation reaching its peak.

"Ateez!"

The room exploded with cheers, the fans' screams filling the air. Hongjoong's eyes widened in shock, the words taking a moment to sink in. They had done it. They had finally won.

His members were all around him, hugging and congratulating each other, tears of joy streaming down their faces. Hongjoong felt a surge of emotions—relief, pride, and overwhelming happiness. As they made their way to the front of the stage to accept the award, he looked out at the sea of fans, their support and love evident in every cheer and shout.

Standing there, holding the trophy, Hongjoong felt a sense of vindication. All their hard work, the sleepless nights, the pain and sacrifices—it had all been worth it. He thought of Seonghwa, wherever he was, and felt a renewed determination. This was just the beginning. They had so much more to achieve, and he was ready to face whatever challenges came their way.

As they thanked their fans and the staff who had supported them, Hongjoong looked at his members and saw the same fire in their eyes. They had faced their fears, overcome their struggles, and come out stronger. Together, they were unstoppable.