20

"When I first met Dom, I had only been on the surface for an hour. The war was over, and I didn't want to stand around all day for Lucifer's victory portrait. So I left. Packed my bags and took that horrible carriage up the evangelion's gate with the humans. I didn't know much about them yet, but I was fascinated by their numerous tongues and dialects, and unique outfits. The English wore red, the French wore blue, and the Holy Roman Empire wore yellow and black, and each of them sounded so different to each other. 

Anyway, When I stepped out of the carriage, that sour-faced driver sped off and left me in the middle of a forest in the dead of night. There was a strong breeze blowing against my face, and little puffs of white trickled down on me and made me shiver against their cool touch. It was the first time I had felt cold. Beating the snow from my eyes, I kicked the excess from my feet and took off from the ground.

I felt the air in my lungs. It was fresh, like it were alive and encouraging me to fly higher, faster. It's nothing like the stagnant crap in the Underworld. So I listened. I flew through the sky, ran my hands through the puffy clouds and along the condensing rain within, and when I broke through the other side, I was mesmerised but what I saw. Like you. I saw the black sky mesh with a violet hue as it glittered with a thousand stars. The moon shone blue and I lost myself in the silent beauty beyond my reach. It was like my own little secret with the world, and already I knew I would never go back. In all of the nine circles, none could compare to it. Not even the lava pits.

I think I stayed there for a bit, too hooked to look away. It was only when I remembered the biting chill tracing it's way up my neck that I was able to shake away my trance and continue my search for shelter. So I headed back down, though I didn't want to. I flew over the bristling tree tops of a pine forest when I heard a shout. It was a pained yelp, and with a turn of my head, I saw a bright bubble of fire light glimmering against the tree bark. It called to me, and I heeded the call. As fast as gravity allowed me, I soared through the sky and after avoiding some trees I landed in a small campsite. Hot fire graced me with a slap in the face. It was so comforting!

But there was still a problem, a blood-sucking one. You see, pinned to a tree, a battle-priest in black and yellow armour struggled against a feral vampire. It's skin was mottled and clung tightly to it's bones, as if it were trying to squeeze every last ounce of blood and sinew from it's insides. You could easily wrap your fingers around it's spindly wrists. But that doesn't mean they were any weaker than their well-fed counterparts. No, if anything, they were more dangerous, filled with some animalistic sense of survival and the strength to take it. 

It had lifted the priest into the air after all, and was in the middle of sucking his blood. The idiot made the mistake of taking his helmet off. I jumped into action, slashed at the creature's back and got it off of him. When I got between them, it opened it's little mouth and shrieked at me. Every single one of it's crooked fangs were on display, and - and the smell of blood was... It doesn't matter.

I was prepared, and when it charged at me I plunged my sword in it's chest. It didn't kill it though, no, I had to wait for the priest to pluck a vial of holy water from his travel bag and douse the thing in it. Only then, when it's flesh began to sizzle and burn and it writhed in pain on the snow, was I able to grab some firewood, and stake it through the heart.

As you can guess, the priest was none other than Dom. He's usually quite charming to look at, the little bum, but in that moment, I figured he would have died at any moment. He was pale, with enough bags under his eyes he could have been mistaken for a ghoul, and that deep bloody mark on his neck. We ended up eyeing each other for a minute as the vampire's body faded into a million specks of dust. It was like the ghost of the war was still haunting us, trying to possess us into making some sort of mistake.