EP 104: All of Me - Act I

Writer's Note: A little later than promised but here is Act One of EP: 104 All of Me.

As always, thanks for reading and your support. 🥰🙏🏽

*******************************************************************************

ACT ONE

MUSIC CUE: "BY YOUR SIDE" - SADE

MUSIC CUE: "BY YOUR SIDE" - JADAKISS

INT. COURTHOUSE - COURTROOM - MORNING

Seated next to ATTORNEY SULLIVAN, OLIVIA and SPENCER wait with bated breath as the JUDGE gives his ruling. Anxious, ALISHA sits on the bench behind them.

JUDGE

... This decision was not made lightly. Both Mr. James and Mr. Jones have displayed a willingness to care for Destiny and Tianna. However, the primary concern of the court is the stability and well-being of the children.

Spencer starts to fidget and Olivia places a hand on his thigh settling him. A beat. He takes a deep breath and slides his hand into hers interlocking their fingers together.

JUDGE

While Mr. Jones is a blood relative. The lack of a current relationship with the girls is concerning... Mr. James has been a consistent presence in the girls' lives since birth.

(clears throat)

I've taken into consideration all of the testimony. The deceased parents and birth mother's wishes. Therefore, in the children's best interests, I am awarding full custody to Mr. Spencer James.

It takes a moment for the words to register and then relief floods over Spencer's face. He pulls Olivia into a tight embrace.

INT. DOCTOR'S OFFICE - SAME TIME

Minutes felt like hours as DARNELL and KIA waited for DR. ROBERTS to relay the test results.

DR. ROBERTS

... The good news is that we caught it early. It's localized. So, it hasn't spread to your lymph nodes--

Kia's grip on Darnell's hand tightens and he pulls her closer as the Doctor's voice fades. Leaving him completely numb.

INT. COURTHOUSE - HALLWAY - MORNING

A disgruntled RAY bursts through the doors and storms away with ATTORNEY WALKER rushing after him.

RAY

... Slam dunk. That's what you said  this case was.

Searching inside her purse for her keys, Alisha briskly walks towards the entrance. With Olivia in tow, Spencer stops her.

SPENCER

Hey, Alisha... Wait up.

Alisha turns around slowly and gives a slight smile.

SPENCER

I just wanted to thank you... Standing up for me in court. I appreciate you.

ALISHA

You don't have to thank me. It's what's best for Destiny... And what Anthony and Lisa would've wanted. What I want.

(to Olivia)