Promise?

Betty's pov

"I really don't wanna leave, James" I mumble against his shoulder, my eyes squeezed shut as my arms around his neck tightens.

"It'll go by so fast baby, I promise you" he says and kiss the top of my head, his hands stroking gently over my back.

I have not wanted to think about this moment. The thoughts of leaving James for the summer made my stomach turn. We've been inseparable ever since that day at the beach five months ago, when he asked me to be his girlfriend. I've never been as happy as I was that day. Well, except for the day we had our first kiss. I mean, I've kissed quite a lot of boys before, but it was different with James. The way our tongues worked together in perfect synchronization, it was amazing. We are unquestionably made for each other.

I sigh and slowly lean back to look him in the eyes.

"Promise me we'll call every single day" I say with a small voice.

"I promise" he mumbles back.

I hold my pinky finger out in the space between us.

"Pinky promise?"

He slowly hooks his pinky with mine as his ocean blue eyes looks into mine and it makes me feel like I'm gonna drown in them. I take a second to let my gaze wonder over his features, trying to put it all in my memory, so that I don't forget them. God, he's so gorgeous.

A small smile dances on my lips before I press them against his soft lips. I can't even imagine not being able to kiss him for a whole month. The dark cloud that disappeared for a second shoots back to me like a lightning. I slowly pull away and lean my forehead against his.

"I really don't wanna leave you" I whisper quietly as he tucks a strand of hair behind my ear. His hand holding my jaw as he strokes the pad of his thumb comforting over my cheekbone. I close my eyes at the simple yet powerful touch.

"You're not really leaving me" he says softly back. "You're still my girl, you know. And you always will be. It's not the end."

His attempt to make me feel better is not successful at all. But he's trying, and that's all that matters. All of a sudden the loud sound of a car horn is heard and I look back over my shoulder, where my mum and dad is sitting in the car, along with suitcases filled to the brim with swimsuits, sun cream and shorts. I let out a deep, tortured sigh before I turn back to look at James. One last time.

"I have to go" I mumble quietly, the dark cloud increasing, swallowing every single piece of light and happiness.

He nods shortly and pull me in for a quick hug. I close my eyes and breathe in his scent, making sure to store this moment in the department of my most beloved memories in my head. I reluctantly let go of him, my fingertips lingering on his neck for a moment longer.

"I'll call you tonight, okay?" he says softly.

I nod.

"Okay" I whisper before I make my way to the car. I get into the back seat and look out the window. His tall frame standing on the driveway to his typical American house. His light blonde hair slightly blowing from the warm summer winds. If it hurts this much leaving him for a month, I can't even imagine how it'll feel like leaving for college. The car starts moving and I keep my gaze on him until he's only a small dot in the corner of the window. I let out a loud sigh and lean my head back against the headrest.

Please make it go by fast.

The drive to our summer house takes a few hours. To pass the time I listen to music, while looking through my photos on my phone. There's one of me and James, the night he asked me to be his girlfriend. We're sitting on the beach in the sand, the sun setting in the background causing a pink and red explosion on the sky. I'm holding the phone, while James is kissing my cheek. I can feel the familiar warmth replaying in my stomach. The same warmth I had that night. I can't help but smile as I look at the photo.