18.

The next morning, the sky was overcast and the air felt heavy with the promise of rain. As they began preparing to head home, Howard returned from a quick trip to the store, looking unusually concerned. 

"Hey, I've got some news," he said, setting down a few bags of groceries on the kitchen counter. "I spoke to the store owner, and he told me that several roads are blocked due to flooding. There's a storm on its way, and it's not safe to travel right now."

Their plans to head home were suddenly interrupted by the grim news. The thought of being stranded or caught in a storm was unsettling, and the reality of the situation began to sink in.

"What are we going to do? We have to be out of here today, and I've got an appointment at the hospital tomorrow," Titti said, her worry evident.

"It's okay, baby. I'm sure we can find a barn to sleep in tonight," Howard said with a playful grin, causing Gary and Jamie to chuckle. 

"That's not funny," Titti said, rolling her eyes.

"Don't worry, love. There's bound to be a hotel nearby where we can stay, and we can reschedule your appointment," Howard reassured her, leaning in to place a comforting kiss on her forehead.

Just then, Anna and Aaron came down the stairs, Aaron darting toward the door with boundless energy.

"Gary, stop him, please! I don't want him going outside in this miserable weather," Anna called out. She reached the bottom step just as Gary grabbed Aaron, tickling him into laughter. 

Noticing the worried expressions on her friends' faces, she asked, "What's going on?"

Titti, looking even more anxious, turned to her sister. "We can't go home. There's a bad storm coming, and the roads are blocked by flooding," she sighed.

"I'll call around and see if there are any rooms available nearby," Gary said, setting Aaron down and reaching for his phone. "There are a lot of hotels around here, so there's bound to be something."

Meanwhile, Anna and Faye busied themselves in the kitchen, preparing drinks to keep everyone calm.

Jason, Karen, and Mark had managed to leave before the storm hit. Mark was heading back to London to rejoin Liz, while Jason and Karen had left for their honeymoon. This left Gary, Anna, and Aaron, along with Howard and Titti, and Jamie and Faye with their two children, Holly and Liam, to figure out their next steps.

Jamie turned on the TV in the living room, hoping to get more information about the storm. The screen flickered to life, and the news anchor's somber tone immediately conveyed the seriousness of the situation.

"...severe weather warnings are in effect for the area, with heavy rain and strong winds expected to continue throughout the day. Several roads have been closed due to flooding, and local authorities are advising against all non-essential travel..."

The anchor continued with updates on road closures and emergency services, adding to the growing sense of urgency in the room. Jamie glanced over at Gary, who was still on the phone, trying to find available accommodations. The news only confirmed what they had already heard, but seeing it on screen made the situation feel more real.

Anna joined Jamie, her eyes glued to the TV as she listened to the latest updates. "Looks like we're definitely not going anywhere today," she said, her voice tinged with frustration.

"Yeah," Jamie replied, his expression reflecting the same concern. "But we'll figure something out. The important thing is that everyone stays safe."

As the broadcast continued, the family gathered in the living room, discussing their options and trying to stay positive despite the unexpected change in plans.