Chapter - 53

Memories can be both a blessing and a curse

~Anaya Singh Rathore

As I awoke, I was met with an unsettling emptiness

As I awoke, I was met with an unsettling emptiness. Anaya's warmth was absent from my embrace. I searched the bathroom, but she was nowhere to be found. I called my guard, inquiring about her whereabouts. He informed me that she was at her company's construction site, overseeing the building's development.

I got out of bed and started my morning routine, feeling refreshed when the clock hit 11:00 a.m. I went downstairs and saw my mother relaxing on the sofa with a warm smile. It had been a long time since we had a peaceful moment together, as life had kept us busy and apart.

"Good morning, Mom," I said, crossing the room to give her a gentle hug. "It's wonderful to see you."

"Good morning, dear," she replied, her eyes sparkling with delight. "Don't you have to go to the office today?"

I said, taking a seat beside her. "No, mom, I was thinking of spending the whole day with you today."

"Finally, you've got time for your old mom, huh?" she teased, chuckling.

I smirked, " Finally, you admit you're getting older by the day, huh?"

She playfully hit my shoulder, "I raised you, and you call me old? Can't you see how youthful I look?"

I grinned mischievously, "Oh, I see you're trying to hide those gray hairs with dye, right?"

Her eyes sparkled with mock offense, "Don't you dare comment on my hair! It doesn't reveal my age!"

I dramatized, "Exactly! You're dyeing your hair, and I'm the one getting scolded? I'm taking your side, and you're getting defensive! I'm not talking to you now!"

"Okay, get out then! And by the way, I've got a new daughter now - your wife!" Mom said with a sly smile.

I looked at her, shocked.

Did she just disown me?!

"I was joking, Mom!" I exclaimed in horror.

"Mee too!" she laughed, making me laugh along with her.