The sun dipped low over the horizon, casting long shadows through the dense canopy of the forest. Lucia, with her purple blue hair cascading down her back, moved with practiced grace among the trees. Her fingers traced the patterns of ancient runes etched into the bark of the oaks and maples, whispering incantations under her breath. She had lived in these woods for years, her home a small, ivy-clad cottage hidden deep within the foliage. The forest was her sanctuary, her magic weaving into the very essence of the trees and the land.

Yet, as much as she cherished her solitude, there was always a lingering ache of loneliness. The townspeople had driven her away, frightened by rumors of her witchcraft. They saw her as a threat, an embodiment of their deepest fears and superstitions. Lucia had learned to live with their scorn, to accept the isolation as a consequence of her gift. The world outside her forest was not one she wished to revisit.

On this particular evening, Lucia was gathering herbs, her wicker basket nearly full with fragrant bundles of thyme, sage, and lavender. As she worked, her keen senses detected an unusual sound: a rustling, almost imperceptible, coming from the direction of the berry bushes. Lydia’s eyes narrowed. Intruders were rare but not unheard of, and she had to be cautious.

She moved silently towards the source of the disturbance, her heart quickening with anticipation. Pushing aside a curtain of ferns, she came face to face with a figure scrambling through the underbrush. The intruder was a confused short blonde girl, her clothes ragged and her face a mask of surprise and fear.

The girl froze, her eyes widening in terror as she stumbled upon Lucia’s carefully hidden cottage. She had been searching for wild berries, her last hope of finding something to eat before her next heist. Instead, she found herself in the presence of the town’s dreaded witch. The rumors she’d heard painted Lucia as a vengeful sorceress who could curse anyone who dared to cross her path.

Lucia, noticing the panicked look in the girls eyes, she took a deep breath. Despite her own fears of being discovered, she approached the intruder with a mix of curiosity and caution. “What brings you here?” she asked softly, her voice carrying a calm authority that belied her concern.

her heart pounded, trying to back away but stumbled on a root. “I—I’m sorry,” she stammered, her eyes darting around as if searching for an escape route. “I didn’t mean to intrude. I was just picking berries.”

Lucia studied the girl before her. Her face, though dirty and tired, showed a vulnerability that struck a chord. Instead of anger, Lydia felt a pang of empathy. “You must be hungry,” Lucia said, her voice gentle. “Come inside. I have some bread and cheese.”

Evie hesitated, torn between her fear and the desperate need for sustenance. She had heard the stories of Lucia’s dark powers, but something in Lucia’s demeanor made her pause. Tentatively, she followed Lucia into the cottage, her senses overwhelmed by the comforting aroma of fresh bread and herbs.

The inside of Lucia’s home was a stark contrast to the fearsome reputation that preceded her. Shelves lined with jars of herbs and mystical trinkets, a warm fire crackling in the hearth, and a cozy table set with simple, yet inviting, dishes. Lucia gestured for the girl to sit and began preparing a modest meal. "Im Lucia.. what's your name..?"
"Evie." The girl said still nervous.

As Evie ate, the silence between them was filled with unspoken questions. Lucia watched her with a mix of curiosity and caution. Finally, as Evie finished her meal, Lucia broke the silence. “Why do you take such risks to survive?”

Evie, caught off guard by the question, sighed. “The town isn’t kind to people like me. I steal because I have no other choice. I never meant to harm anyone.. I just-"