Evie spent the rest of the day with Lucia, discussing ideas and strategies. The sun dipped below the horizon, casting the forest in twilight shadows, but neither of them noticed as they brainstormed. Evie felt a renewed sense of purpose, a determination to help Lucia clear her name and show the village that she was not the monster they believed her to be.

"We need to start small," Evie said thoughtfully, tapping her chin. "Maybe we can find someone in the village who is willing to give you a chance. If we can help just one person, it might start to change people's minds."

Lucia nodded, her eyes bright with hope. "But who would be willing to trust me after everything that's happened?"

Evie pondered this, thinking of the villagers and their superstitions. Then, she remembered Mrs. Thorn, an elderly woman who had always been kind to her. She was wise and often spoke of the old ways, and she had never seemed as fearful as the others.

"Mrs. Thorn," Evie said decisively. "She might be willing to listen. She's always been kind to me, and I think she believes in second chances."

Lucia's face lit up. "Do you think she would really listen to us?"

"It's worth a try," Evie replied. "We need to be careful, though. If we go to her together, it might scare her. I'll talk to her first, feel her out. If she's open to it, we can arrange for you to meet her."

Lucia agreed, and they spent the next few hours making a plan. By the time Evie left the cottage, the moon was high in the sky, casting a silvery glow over the forest. She made her way home quietly, slipping back into her house and into bed without waking her parents.

The next morning, Evie set out for Mrs. Thorn's cottage. She felt a mix of nerves and excitement, hoping that this plan would work. As she approached the small, ivy-covered home, she took a deep breath and knocked on the door.

Mrs. Thorn opened it with a warm smile. "Evie, dear! What a pleasant surprise. Come in, come in."

Evie stepped inside, the familiar scent of lavender and old books enveloping her. Mrs. Thorn led her to the kitchen, where a pot of tea was already brewing.

"To what do I owe this visit?" Mrs. Thorn asked, her eyes twinkling with curiosity.

Evie took a sip of tea, gathering her thoughts. "Mrs. Thorn, I need to talk to you about something important. It's about Lucia, the witch in the forest."

Mrs. Thorn's expression turned serious, but she nodded for Evie to continue.

"I know the village has always feared her, and there's a lot of terrible stories about her," Evie began. "But I've met her, and she's not the monster everyone thinks she is. She's kind, and she's been living in isolation because of a mistake she made years ago."

Mrs. Thorn listened intently, her expression thoughtful. "Go on, dear."

Evie recounted the story Lucia had told her, explaining the guilt and remorse the witch felt over the girl's death. She spoke of Lucia's desire to make amends and to help the village, despite their fear of her.

"I believe her, Mrs. Thorn," Evie concluded. "And I think if people got to know her, they would see that she's not dangerous. But we need someone to give her a chance first. I was hoping you might be willing to meet her, to see for yourself."

Mrs. Thorn was silent for a moment, her gaze distant as she considered Evie's words. Finally, she nodded. "I believe in giving people a chance to make things right. If what you say is true, then Lucia deserves that chance."

Evie's heart leaped with relief. "Thank you, Mrs. Thorn. I'll arrange for you to meet her."

They settled on a time for the meeting, and Evie left Mrs. Thorn's cottage feeling a renewed sense of hope. She hurried back to the forest to tell Lucia the good news.