Chapter 6: The First Fastest

Erin stared at the chemical compound on the board. He knew the answer, but if he wanted Elizabeth to talk to him, he had to act clueless. Mr. Bazel was talking so much it actually was putting Erin to sleep. He'd spent the last week combing over every bit of knowledge he had on Hotrod. Nothing substantial had come up. Whoever hid this guy was good at their job. All Erin wanted was for the day to be over so he could spend the weekend sleeping.

Elizabeth tapped him on the arm. He snapped out of his daze and looked over at her.

"Do you wanna partner up?"

ABSOLUTELY Erin screamed in his head. He had to bite his lip to keep himself from smiling.

"For what?"

"Wow dude, you really don't pay attention."

Elizabeth pointed at the board, "We have to do a lab outside of school today, you're the only person I know in this class."

Erin nodded, "I'm down to help."

"I was thinking I was going to help you," She said. Erin couldn't read her. Every thing she said was with a straight, unenthusiastic face.

"Yeah that would be nice."

"Cool," she started putting her stuff in her bag, "My parents hate me being out so it's probably best if you catch a ride with me."

"Alright cool," Erin said, trying to keep his cool.

The bell rang and Elizabeth stood up, "Alright, you know where I park, meet me there after school."

"Will do," Erin said smiling, before realizing what she'd done.

"Wait I don't know where you park after-"

"Sure you don't buddy," she said. He could see the tiniest smirk cross her mouth before vanishing. Before he knew it, she was gone.

***

"What happened?" Martin asked, his food nearly dropping out of his mouth.

"Lisa tell me that's just a girl way of telling a dude to shove it."

Lisa shook her head, "Never once has a girl invited a guy over to her house and NOT had some sort of interest in him," she patted Erin on the arm, "It looks like you're in, unless she thinks you're so weird you need to be studied."

"Ain't that the truth," Tommy muttered, taking a drink. Erin pulled his leg back and shot it forward. A small hint of blue lit up from under the table as he kicked his best friend. Tom spit his drink all over Marlin in pain.

"AUGH YOU ASSHOLE," He smacked Erin in the back of the head.

Lisa rubbed her chin as the two of them brawled childishly.

"Well, she did call you out for staring at her from across the parking lot..."

Erin stopped mid attack, "What?"

His moment of weakness was taken advantage from by Tom, who slapped him across the face once more.

"There's a chance she's literally just inviting you over because she needs someone to partner up with."

"Oh thank goodness," Marlin said, slumping in relief. He dropped the towel he'd used to wipe himself off.

"Marlin," Erin said, pushing Tommy off of him, "Why are you praying on my downfall?"

"I can't let you get a girlfriend before me dude."

"Brother," Erin leaned across the table, "I already did."

Marlin laughed, "And where did that lead you?"

"A year of nothing but abuse and manipulation that is now followed up by stalking," Lisa chimed in under her breath.