Chapter 11: Overgrowth Part 2

RINGGGGGGGGGGG

Erin practically jumped out of the gym, heading straight for Liz's car. He'd successfully gotten the rest of the gang to get rides so he could be alone with Elizabeth again. A masterful plan he was incredibly proud of. Elizabeth was already in the car, waiting for him.

"How was class?" He asked as he put the backpack in the back seat.

"Fine."

"You okay?"

"I'm alright."

Cold. Erin shuddered. Did he do something wrong. He'd only missed the first 2 minutes of the movie yesterday.

The pair took off toward old town.

"Hey," Liz said, not taking her eyes off the road, "I appreciate you coming to the market. My family wants me to make more friends and it'll mean a lot to them when you guys show up."

Erin nodded, "Happy to help."

"It means a lot to me too."

Warmth. Erin felt confusion flood him. Now she liked him again?

He looked out the window, "We'll I'm glad I can make you feel-"

Erin felt his words get caught in his throat. The building in front of them was absolutely covered in vines. Trees spurted from the ground and plunged into windows. People ran around screaming as glass and wood rained upon them. Elizabeth slammed on the breaks.

"Holy shit!"

Erin stared up at the terror falling upon him. The moss-man from yesterday was using his vine-arm to scale the side. A terrified worker in a business suit was in his other hand.

Elizabeth quickly threw the car in reverse and took a different route.

"Hypersonic better get on that," she muttered. Erin gripped the handle above his head. If he sped out of the car, she would find out he was Hypersonic. Hotrods words echoed in his mind.

"Just, don't tell her okay?"

Does this constitute as telling her?

"Pull over!" Erin shouted. Liz looked at him like he was crazy, but complied. Erin jumped out of the car.

"My mom wanted me to stop by her work and help her."

"But," Elizabeth looked hurt, "You said you could come to the market."

"I'll be there I promise, I just have to help you know?"

Liz stared at him for a sec, before forcing a smile, "Alright, I'll see you in a bit."

Erin grabbed his bag from the backseat and watched sorrowfully as his crush drove off without him. Making sure he wasn't followed, Erin ran down an alley way and tossed his bag behind a dumpster.

With a flash of blue light, Hypersonic was sprinting down the road.

"Auntie you there?" He said. No response came from his comms. She wasn't at the lab.

"I'm doing this one solo."

The roots and trees had spread to the street outside the building. Erin stared at the ground, careful to avoid any tripwires set by the villain. The twigs cracked under his feet as he tore toward the building. Erin looked up and noticed a massive vine coming out of the ground in front of him. He slowed down, stopping before he hit the plant, and turned around.

More vines. They'd come out of the ground before he'd gotten here. He was surrounded.

"Shit."

The vines moved in, crushing Erin between them. He pulled his arm back and punched through one, but a wave of branches flooded in to patch the hole.