Chapter 55: A Final Goodbye

A week had passed, and Shubman was still at the hospital with Virat. The constant beeping of the machines and the sterile smell of the hospital had become his world. But today, finally, Virat was getting discharged. Shubman felt a wave of relief wash over him. Virat's health was stable, and he was on the road to recovery. It was a huge weight off Shubman's shoulders.

Yet, even as he sat there, holding Virat's discharge papers, his mind was a storm of conflicting emotions. He thought about Ishan, and the harsh words he had thrown at him in anger and pain. He regretted them deeply. He shouldn't have said those things, shouldn't have let his emotions get the better of him. But then again, he felt betrayed. Ishan had kept such a huge part of his life a secret. How could he trust someone who had lied to him about something so fundamental?

Shubman glanced over at Virat, who was sitting up in bed, looking much better than he had a week ago. The sight brought a small smile to Shubman's face, but it was fleeting. His thoughts drifted back to Ishan. He remembered the look of desperation in Ishan's eyes when he had begged for forgiveness. It tugged at his heart, but he pushed the feeling aside.

"Ishan played with my feelings," Shubman thought, trying to steel himself against the rising tide of regret. "Virat is in this position because of him." But even as he thought it, a small voice in the back of his mind argued otherwise. He knew that Ishan had been doing his job, trying to protect them all from Vikram and his gang. Some part of him recognized the truth in Ishan's actions, but his pride wouldn't let him fully accept it. "He betrayed me," Shubman repeated to himself, as if saying it enough times would make it easier to believe. "He lied to me, and he put Virat's life at risk."

The memories of their time together flooded his mind. The late-night conversations, the quiet moments of understanding, the laughter, the feeling of warmth whenever Ishan was near. Shubman had allowed himself to be vulnerable for the first time in years, and it had backfired spectacularly. He felt foolish for letting someone in, for believing that he could have something real and meaningful.

Yet, despite all of that, he missed Ishan. He missed the way Ishan's eyes lit up when he talked about something he was passionate about. He missed the sound of Ishan's laughter, the way it could make everything seem better, even for just a moment. He missed the feeling of being understood, of being cared for.

Shubman shook his head, trying to dispel the thoughts. He couldn't afford to dwell on these feelings. He needed to focus on Virat, on getting him home and ensuring his continued recovery. But the more he tried to push Ishan out of his mind, the more persistently he seemed to intrude. "Maybe I was too harsh," Shubman admitted to himself, the thought causing a pang of guilt. "Maybe I should have given him a chance to explain."

But then the anger would rise again, reminding him of the betrayal, of the fear he had felt when Virat was lying there, covered in blood. It was a chaotic swirl of emotions, leaving Shubman feeling drained and confused. Virat's voice broke through his reverie. "Shubman, are you okay? You've been awfully quiet." Shubman forced a smile. "Yeah, I'm fine. Just relieved that you're getting out of here."

Virat gave him a knowing look. "I know that look. You're thinking about him, aren't you?" Shubman sighed, running a hand through his hair. "I can't help it, Virat. I feel so... conflicted. Ishan lied to me, but at the same time, I can't stop thinking about him. I don't know what to do." Virat reached out and placed a hand on Shubman's arm. "Sometimes, the heart and the mind don't align. You need to figure out what's more important to you: your pride or your feelings for Ishan."

Shubman nodded, his throat tight with emotion. "I just... I don't know if I can trust him again. But I also don't know if I can let him go." Virat squeezed his arm reassuringly. "Take it one step at a time. You don't have to make any decisions right now. Just focus on what you need to do, and the rest will fall into place."