Chapter 17: The Fight for Freedom

The morning light filtered through the small window of the cell, casting a pale glow on Shubman and Ishan. Despite the dire situation, they tried to find solace in conversation. Shubman was curious about what might be happening back at the office.

"I wonder how Mayank and Abhishek are handling things without us," Shubman said, trying to lighten the mood. Ishan chuckled softly, though the sound was tinged with worry. "Knowing them, it's probably chaos. Mayank always teases me about everything, and Abhishek is bound to be making jokes to lighten the tension."

Shubman nodded. "And the project... I hope they're managing. It's a crucial one." "They'll pull through," Ishan said confidently. "But I worry about Aditi. She's probably very concerned." Shubman's expression darkened at the mention of Aditi. "Aditi? Why her specifically?"

Ishan noticed the change in Shubman's tone and smirked internally. "She has a soft spot for me, you know. Always checking in on me, making sure I'm okay." Shubman's jaw tightened. "I see." Ishan couldn't help but enjoy Shubman's jealousy a bit. "You seem bothered, Mr. Gill."

Shubman looked away, trying to hide his feelings. "I'm not bothered. Just... surprised, that's all." Ishan leaned closer, a teasing smile on his lips. "Sure, you're not jealous or anything?" Shubman's eyes flicked back to Ishan, filled with a mixture of irritation and something deeper. "Of course not. I just... I don't want anyone to get hurt because of this mess."

Ishan's smile softened. "Don't worry, Shubman. We'll get through this. And then, you can sort out your feelings about Aditi." Shubman kept quite.

Shubman's thoughts wandered back to the office, trying to imagine how his employees were coping with his absence. He had always prided himself on being a strong leader, someone they could depend on. Now, he felt helpless, unable to protect them from afar.

"I hope Abhishek is managing without us," Shubman said, his voice tinged with concern. "He's capable, but this project is critical." Ishan nodded, his expression serious. "Mayank is tough. He'll handle it. But they're probably all worried sick about us."

"Aditi, especially," Shubman murmured, glancing at Ishan out of the corner of his eye. "She seems to care a lot about you." Ishan raised an eyebrow, detecting the subtle hint of jealousy in Shubman's tone. "Aditi is a good friend. She's always been there for me."

Shubman's jaw tightened again, and Ishan couldn't resist pushing a little further. "You sound like you're jealous, Mr. Gill." "Jealous?" Shubman scoffed, though his voice lacked conviction. "I'm just concerned. I don't want anyone to get hurt because of this." Ishan leaned back against the wall, studying Shubman's face. "You're not very good at hiding your feelings, you know."

Shubman met Ishan's gaze, his eyes filled with a mixture of frustration and something deeper. "I'm not jealous. I just... I don't like the idea of you being so close to her." Ishan's teasing smile faded, replaced by a more serious expression. "Why does it bother you so much, Shubman?"

Shubman opened his mouth to respond, but no words came out. He looked away, unable to meet Ishan's eyes. "It doesn't matter. We have bigger things to worry about right now." Ishan sighed, deciding to let the matter drop for now. "You're right. We need to focus on getting out of here."

They sat in silence for a few moments, the weight of their situation pressing down on them. Despite the danger, Ishan felt a strange sense of comfort being close to Shubman. He had always admired Shubman's strength and determination, but now he saw a different side of him—a side that was vulnerable and deeply caring.