Chapter 101: The Withered Beauty

The atmosphere in the room froze in an instant.

What should have been a scene that made one's face turn red and heart race had now lost all its ambiguity, replaced only by the embarrassment and danger of being exposed.

He Yan quickly composed herself, looking at him. The look of "nervousness and tension" typical of young people like her faded away, revealing her usual smile as she said, "You can call me whatever you like, Commander. As long as you're happy."

"The daughter of the City Gate military official He Sui, actually came to join the army." He looked at her eyes, smiling with a hint of mockery. "Miss He, you've got quite the courage."

This man... He Yan's mind raced, realizing that he must have been investigating her secretly, not because she had been exposed in the Sun Mansion. From Shuo Jing to here, even if you rode at breakneck speed, it would take more than a month. So why did Xiao Jue start suspecting her so early?

The youth smiled, "I didn't expect the Commander to be so concerned about me; I'm flattered."

There was no panic on He Yan's face, even though this was an unexpected turn of events. Normally, when a person's clothes were opened up and their identity exposed, most women would feel embarrassed and outraged. But this man seemed so nonchalant, more daring than a man, and maybe that was the reason why, from Shuo Jing to Liangzhou, no one had discovered her true gender.

When Xiao Jue received the secret letter from Shuo Jing, he could hardly believe it. The City Gate military official did have a child named He Yan, but she was a daughter, not a son. He also had a son named He Yunsheng, and six months ago, He Yan's daughter had been killed by robbers on a boat on the Chunlai River and had not been found to this day. By the time He Yan joined the army, it had been six months.

But a woman joining the army, and being able to hide her true gender for more than half a year, was quite impressive. Either everyone around her was blind, or she was very good at disguising herself. Xiao Jue was not blind, and as he thought back to the moments he had spent with He Yan, he realized that she was indeed very good at concealing herself.

She had delicate and slender features, with a petite figure. However, people wouldn't easily associate her with a typical woman because she had a carefree demeanor, and her combat skills were among the best in the Liangzhou Garrison.

"Why did you come to the Liangzhou Garrison?"

Hesitant, she quickly thought and replied, "I came to the Liangzhou Garrison because I committed a crime in Shuo Jing, and if caught, I would face certain death. I had no other options but to seek refuge in the military."

"What crime?"

This person still didn't seem to fully believe her, even though everything had already been checked. Exasperated, she sighed, "A young master from a wealthy family lusted after my beauty and kidnapped me onto his boat, intending to force me into marriage. Unfortunately, at that moment, an assassin arrived and took his life. If I were left alone on the boat, I would have a hard time explaining myself, and others might even think I was in cahoots with the assassin. So, I had no choice but to join the military."

Her words were a mixture of truth and falsehood, and she delivered them with apparent sincerity.

Xioa Jue played with the idea, looking at her with an amused expression, "Lusted after your beauty?"

He Yan: "...."

What does this mean, was he looking down on her? She had looked at herself in the mirror, Miss He's face is definitely beautiful.

She said with an insincere smile. "After all, not everyone has the discerning eye of a general like you."

Xiao Jue nodded his head: "So that's the case."