27

As I sat by Kiri's side, my heart skipped a beat when I noticed her eyelids fluttering. She was waking up. Relief washed over me, and I immediately sprang to my feet, rushing to her bedside. Her eyes slowly opened, and I could see the confusion and exhaustion within them.

"Kiri! You're awake," I said, my voice choked with emotion. I took her hand gently, trying to comfort her as she blinked groggily.

"What happened?" she murmured, her voice barely above a whisper.

"You had a seizure at the Spirit Tree," I explained softly. "But you're okay now. Just rest."

Kiri nodded weakly, and I stayed with her for a while, making sure she was settled and comfortable. The hours slipped by, and eventually, I knew it was time to leave. I couldn't stay here forever, even if my presence was a bit of a burden.

As I stepped outside the hut, I was greeted by the fading sunlight and a cooling breeze. I took a deep breath, ready to escape the confines of the Sully's domain for a while. My mind was already set on finding some solitude away from the chaos that had unfolded in the past days.

Just as I was about to make my escape, Tuk appeared from around the corner, her eyes bright and curious. "Hey, where are you going?" she asked, her tone filled with innocent excitement.

"Oh Tuk, I have to, umm... HUNT!" I said, trying to sound enthusiastic but failing miserably. My voice betrayed my nervousness.

Tuk's eyes sparkled with approval, and she clapped her hands together. "Oh, alright! Be home before eclipse," she instructed, her smile widening. Without waiting for a response, she turned and skipped back toward her hut, her cheerful demeanor a stark contrast to the turmoil I felt inside.

"Home," I scoffed, muttering under my breath as I watched her go. The last thing I wanted was to spend another night with the Sullys. The thought of it made me feel trapped, a feeling I was desperate to escape.

I walked away from the bustling part of the village, heading toward the outskirts. The familiar pain of isolation and the weight of my past decisions seemed to follow me, but I pushed those thoughts aside. For now, I needed to find my own space, away from the expectations and the awkward glances.

I headed toward the forest edge, hoping that being alone would give me the clarity I needed. My mind was a storm of conflicting emotions, and all I wanted was a moment of peace to figure out what to do next. The Sullys had their own way of dealing with things, but for me, solitude was the only refuge I had left.