Chapter 64 - Tendrils of Fate

"Mono/Dialogue"

'Inner thoughts'

Narration

[Message/communication apparatus]

Date: Mid-October 1089

Location: Wasteland near Kazdel.

POV: Narrator

Nyx could be seen standing on top of the landship, her fingers have been playing with her wilted and burnt cigarette. She is gazing at a distant land, a place she is well-acquainted with. All around the landship are nothing but the forgotten land with mercifully fewer scars of war that could be seen littering the ground.

The Badlands, Wastelands, or the nicer name of Free Zones is the perfect place for Babel to avoid the General's prying eyes. One might argue that a monarch on the run from her own country is a monarch no more. Nyx however couldn't see the appeal to fight for someone or a nation. She hoped that once home, she could ... bury it and go about her days.

Especially with the storm brewing in her mind. Those words Kal'tsit had uttered had been on the loop inside her mind. Grief? Rage? Bewilderment? Understanding? None of these words could truly piece together the puzzle that had been turned into a billion more pieces of unrecognizable jigsaw. Her mind had yet come to term but from what exactly? Even more so when they are not exactly out of the woods yet.

She should deal with the immediate problems first, her heart could take a further battering after she is back at home. If she could stay calm (barely) after the unsolicited provocation levied by Agnese, what is a bit more patience? Nyx recalled her... negotiation... with Grey Hall's personnel.

'I was a goddamn asshole... CM would yell at me for that, but... ugh... fuck it.' With an annoyed expression, she lit another cigarette and finished it in one deep puff of smoke. She threw them on the ground below before playing with more cigarettes.

Just when she concluded the problem with the 4th Convoy being stuck in Sette Colli, another one popped up and it concerned a move played by one of Terra's most powerful nations; Ursus.

When the 2nd Convoy team brought along an envelope with Ursus Imperial Seal on it, she thought of its implications. She wonders whether it is a power play to imply that they know who the primary power behind Cordelia is, the matter with the 10th Kazimierz – Ursus War, or even a personal threat to her.

She doesn't know what to make of the presumed threats or politicking with only staring at it. The 2nd Convoy's leader assured her that the seal was authentic at least. So she braced herself for the worst. All that caution and misgivings only to be left incredulous.

'Ursus reaches out to me?' She recalled back to its content.

[To the esteemed Lady Nyx, written here to bring forth a message on behalf of the Tsar of Ursus.

I would be most gladdened for us to convene
directly but alas such is a complicated possibility considering the reality. Of course, your distrust is understandable, your animosity lamentable however duly noted, and thus you may ignore this letter or settle for fairer weather.

As a sign of goodwill, the matter of the present and the past shall be deemed void by the Imperial's eyes. War happens, and I despise them. It would be of greater importance that we move past bloodshed. Sadly, the matter of reward for your life is a trickier part to deal with. If you're interested, then we might be able to work out an understanding and cooperation.

I must note once more that I only hoped that further unnecessary altercations could be mitigated.

Sincerely, Fyodor Vladimirovich.]

A part of her wanted to rip it to shreds because all she sees are nothing more than an absurdly unbelievable tale, so she almost laughed seeing how much of a contrary was written inside. She expects them to dredge old wounds and force her to comply, but the perceived sincerity inside was just that baffling.