A Dragon, a Delinquent, and a Diary

'I got you from a friend.'

'That's lovely... and your name would be?'

-

Dazai breathed into his scarf. A plume of white air clouded up around his face, warm where it left his lungs and freezing once it touched the air. He cupped his hands together and scowled into them.

"You look deep in thought."

Dazai glanced away from the Hogwarts' train. Snow was starting to gather on top.

Blaise was watching him from a few feet off, Draco standing stiff as ice at his other side. "Should I be concerned?"

Dazai puffed out another cloud. "It's cold," he grumbled.

"It is December," Draco clipped in. He had his hands shoved into his pockets, and a shivering tremor shook his entire body. He was also standing about a foot too far from the rest of their group to really be a part of their group—trying to look separate from them while still holding a conversation. Dazai strained to hear him. "Still, they can start boarding already, can't they? We've been waiting for at least five minutes already! People don't make me wait for them."

"It's been less than a minute," Blaise said.

"I guess Draco is the impatient type... though if we aren't allowed on soon, I'll just freeze to death. That's not an awful way to go, right?"

Hermione elbowed him, and Dazai staggered to the side in a few stumbling steps. "Don't joke about that."

"It's not a joke! My nose is about to fall off!"

"That's not possible—!"

Blaise cleared his throat. "They're boarding now."

Hermione and Dazai jolted to attention.

Sure enough, the train doors were now open. The other students—who had before given Dazai's group a wide berth—were now quickly hurrying inside. It was cold enough to freeze out here! Dazai would be sprinting in a step behind them, if he thought he could do as much without starting a stampede of some kind. The screaming would just hurt his ears. Beside that, he was carrying precious cargo.

Dazai fixed the heavy bag slung over his shoulder. It squirmed.

"Let's head in," Draco said, though most of the crowd had yet to clear. "I'll get us a compartment."

"Lead the way then, Mr. Respected-Leader-of-Slytherin!"

Draco shot him a questioning glance over his shoulder before leading them up the step and into the train. As expected, people parted nervously around them—whether from respect for Draco or fear of Dazai was anyone's guess.

Everyone slumped with relief the second they were onboard. Warmth oozed around them, melting their frozen bones and drying their running noses. Dazai let out a breath of satisfaction, and wasn't met with any responding plume of white air.

"This way," Draco said, tearing the group from their collective reverie. "I want to chase those Hufflepuffs out before they get settled in."

Dazai followed Draco's gaze to the compartment next over, where two Hufflepuff first-years were sliding their suitcases beneath the seats. They were smiling and giggling with one another. Evidently, they hadn't noticed the oncoming Malfoy Storm currently thundering their way.

Draco stomped up to the door. He crossed his arms over his chest, and when they finally looked at him, he snapped, "Out."

"I... but we..?"

"Out."

The Hufflepuffs squeaked and hastily began to regather their things. They were rushing out the door within the next few seconds. Dazai smiled politely at them as they left, and they practically sprinted down the corridor.