Chapter 4: The Stone Maze

I was given lodgings in the West Wing of the castle where Leon lived, daily meals, and firewood to keep my small room warm. It was no large amount grander than a broom closet, with stone walls wrapping a tight square around me. A small window bordered by iron bars, a fireplace, and a bed stuffed with hay were the only aspects of homeliness the room possessed, yet I was the most comfortable I had been in my life. I was used to freezing in damp alleyways as I slept, so any place to call my own chambers was a large improvement. My uniform was a pair of brown trousers, new leather boots that I was given, a cream-colored tunic, and a brown vest made of soft wool with the icy sword of House Fortalev embroidered upon it.

Despite all these luxuries, my first day in Castle Oaken was the most terrifying of my life. I did not know where to go or who to talk to, and nearly was late to wake Leon for his day. I had been saved by a guard I found patrolling the West Wing, who had kindly given me directions. When I finally found Leon, it was yet another mental hurdle to walk into the room of the Prince and wake him.

Leon's chambers were far grander than mine; high stone-ceilings supported by oak beams reached as tall as some trees I had seen, a large glass door covered in intricate metalwork led out to a stone-terrace, and a massive fireplace roared, keeping the room so warm it felt as though I had somehow stumbled into the South. Tapestries of hunts, the Fortalev family, and of Eaíles hung from the walls and large animal-skin rugs lined the floor. His bed was large, covered in thick wool blankets, and stuffed with goose-feathers instead of hay like mine.

He lay asleep in bed still as light began to creep into the grey sky of Oaken, exposing the sheet of white snow that had fallen overnight and continued to fall even then. His brown hair framed his regal face in wavy tendrils amongst his pillows, and his usually smirking lips were downturned into a concentrated frown. Whatever it was he was dreaming of must not have been pleasant. I approached the sleeping prince with light footsteps and lightly touched his exposed shoulder.

"Leon, it is time for thou to awaken," I said gently. He stirred slightly, murmuring in his sleep. I tapped his shoulder again. "Come now friend, thou really must rise. I was already late to come wake you." He groaned, rubbing his eyes.

"John," he said, his voice deep from drowsiness. He sat up in bed, naked beneath his covers. "Would you fetch me my robe please? I wish not to be exposed."

"As you wish, my grace," I said, walking to his wardrobe and fetching a lush velvet robe the same crimson as blood. He wrapped it around himself before getting out of bed and going to his terrace. He opened the glass doors and stepped outside into the frigid morning. The bitingly cold wind extinguished the fireplace and rustled the tapestries. 

"Leon, I should think it best for you to come inside! It is too cold!" I exclaimed, running after him.

"Nonsense!" Leon said, smiling at me. He had to yell to be heard through the howling wind. "What better way to wash the dreariness of sleep away than a freezing wind?" He stood outside just a moment longer before strolling casually back inside and closing the doors.

"And what is it I have scheduled for today?" Leon asked, sitting on the edge of his bed and looking up at me. 

"Well, you have sword-training with Ser Allen today at nine, followed by war-counsel with your father and his advisors at two, and lastly a meeting to discuss food sources in the winter at five," I said, listing off the activities I had memorized from a small piece of parchment I had received that morning. He shook his head in understanding before letting out a small chuckle.

"What is it Leon? Have I made some mistake or-" I began.

"No not at all!" He exclaimed, cutting me off. "It is just..." He trailed off.