SESSION 8: Wherefore art thou, Stout?

After helping Big Al, the party set out from Butterskull Ranch. About halfway back to Phandalin they met a band of twelve mercenaries on the road, geared well enough with armor and weapons to defend against transgressors. They were led by a stout man who looked to be half human, half dwarf. The two parties neared each other, and Alexander stopped them to chat.

"Might I inquire about where ye be headin'?"

"We've been hired to defeat orcs at Butterskull Ranch and defend it," the mercenaries leader replied.

"We have just come from there. We set up warding on the perimeter."

"Oh? Did the owner make it back safely?"

"The ranch hands didnae make it, but the owner and his son are safe. We killed most of the orcs that were at the farm. A couple got away."

"Got away?"

"We convinced them that they were terrible at being orcs and they left in shame," Coco said.

"So, ye bullied orcs?"

Coco looked smugly at him.

"Do ye know which way they went, or which way more might attack from?"

"They fled to the south, so that's probably where more would come from," Alexander told them, and then made his own query. "Did you see the dragon?"

"We didnnae, but we heard it coming a long way off. I instructed my men to put out the fire and take cover."

"Oh, so you're cowards," Coco said and laughed.

"Excuse me, young lady?! We are nae cowards! We weren't hired to fight a dragon! We were hired to fight orcs!" the leader retorted while scrunching his face and scowling.

The party laughed.

"Was it headed toward Phandalin?" Alexander asked.

"Nae. I don't think it went there. I think it was headed farther southwest."

Though that should have brought the party relief, they were still anxious to get to Phandalin to find Stout.

"Thank ye. We must be on our way," Alexander said.

"The route ahead to Phandalin is clear."

"As is the road to the ranch. Safe journey," he replied.

The lead mercenary nodded, and they parted ways. The adventurers made good time and reached the trailhead which shot off from Triboar Trail. In the distance, toward Phandalin, they neither saw smoke nor heard anything that made them think there was anything amiss. It appeared that nothing bad had happened, but still, they were cautious.

"What if all the townspeople have been replaced?" Coco said.

"Or gone?" Mama replied.

"Should we head in?" Alexander suggested.

Down the path, and the closer they got, it became apparent that nothing was wrong in Phandalin. People were going about their day as normal. Before they breach the town's limit, Goliath slipped off and retreated into the tall grass on the outskirts.

The adventurers discussed amongst themselves whether something was actually wrong and only appeared normal. They entered Barthen's provisions with suspicion while looking for Stout. Elmar Barthen, and his clerks, Ander and Thistle, all looked to them. As a test to see if there would be any reaction, Coco moved swiftly through the store and slapped the butts of the three. Elmar shot her a dirty look, but before he could speak Coco preempted him.