Prologue

PENELOPE

Lillia, Fiona and I have been walking for ages without any progress. After picking the berries Miss Abott, the cook of the orphanage, requested, we were still trying to get home. I can't believe we were lost when we have been in this area of the forest a million times.

The three of us have known each other for as long as I can remember. We grew up in a small city's orphanage and were never adopted by anyone. Not many people in an urban area would adopt any problematic teenager anyway. Nonetheless, the three of us did not dream of being apart from each other.

"I think we're just going in circles," Fiona exhaled. She sat on a boulder and ate a berry.

Lillia carried a frustrated look. She has been trying to get us out of this nightmare. "I don't think we've wandered off too far into the forest, Fiona."

It was getting late, possibly five in the afternoon, and there seemed to be dark clouds heading our way. I heard cracking of leaves behind me and I created a startled gasp.

"What is it?!?!" Fiona frantically asked as I turned around and saw three white cats looking directly at us. "...that's creepy..."

I shook my head. "We better get going the sun will fully set soon and it's not safe out here."

We started walking again, Fiona and Lillia in front while I stayed behind. My ring finger started itching, possibly from bugs around here. Ugh... I hate my sensitive self.

We reached the back door of the orphanage before sundown, which was a relief. It started raining a few minutes afterwards. After the rain, Miss Abott asked us to pick out some vegetables at the back of the house.

Lillia and I were picking some chili peppers when we heard Fiona gasp. In front of Fiona was an old woman dressed in a white cloak with a big knitted bag on her back.

Lillia and I quickly headed towards Fiona. "Can we help you...?"

The woman spoke ever so gently. "I was just wondering if I can have some food for the night. The rain had drenched all my bread..."

The woman was so short and you can see all her wrinkles. "Umm... yeah we have a few spare things..." I replied. Lillia nudged me and I felt Fiona's stare. Lillia collected few slices of bread, Fiona with a bottle of water and milk, and me with a few fresh fruits. The orphanage has plenty of food that is wasted anyways.

"Oh thank you Dears," the woman said. She took off her bag and put the food in. "I can only repay you with these."

She gave Lillia a blue bottle along with a blue box. She handed Fiona and I the same objects but with different colors, Fiona was green and mine was white.

"Now, Darlings, Make sure you take good care of what's inside these boxes. They are extremely important and never give them away," She warned with her croaky voice. "Oh, I hope one day I will see you again... but for now, I must go."

She started to leave when Fiona called her attention. "May we know your name?"

The old lady smiled. Her smile shocked me. She did not seem as old anymore. Her teeth were perfectly straight with healthy looking lips and bright eyes. "Elizandra, they call me Elizandra."

She was gone a few minutes later. What happened felt like a dream. Lillia, Fiona and I stood there staring at each other then at the bottles and boxes in our hands. We opened the box simultaneously and found 3 silver rings with intricate designs. I hear the girls gasp. How can the old woman give these things to us?

I find the rings on Lillia and Fiona's fingers. "Look how beautiful!!!!" While Lillia admired her ring, Fiona opened the bottle, inspected it and took a sip before I could say anything. Lillia and I wore a worried look, waiting for her comment. "That.... is a great drink! You should try yours."

Lillia and I gave each other a look. "Come on guys, I don't think it'll harm us that much. We helped that lady!" Lillia gave me a 'whatever' look, opened her green bottle and took a sip. Her eyes widened and she exclaimed on the deliciousness of the drink. I rolled my eyes, put the ring on my still-itching finger and took a sip of my white bottled drink, which was pretty tasty.

After dinner, the three of us went to our shared room and prepared for bed. Fiona read a book on her bed, I brushed my teeth, and Lillia was rummaging through a box of old things we found in the room.

"Penelope!!! Do you know where that old photo is?!" she frustratingly asked. "The one with the three of us when we were young."

"Check the small photo album!" I replied after rinsing my mouth. "Why do you want it anyway?"

"I need it for the scrapbook I'm doing," she informed me. Here she goes again with saving old scraps. She loves doing things like that. "Found it!!!"

Fiona dropped her book and started looking through the small photo album. The photos seemed older than they should be. She examined a photo of a baby girl wrapped in a black cloth. "Have you ever seen this picture before?"

The photograph caught our attention. "Look at that." Lillia pointed at the edge of the photo where there was a white cat that seemed to be staring at the camera. Chills ran through my body. The cat looked so similar to the ones we saw in the woods. Fiona turned the photo over. Written there were letters 'VRNCA'. We just sat there staring at the photo when we heard the rain roaring outside our window. We put the photos away and went to bed.

I laid down thinking about the old lady, the drink, the ring, the cats and the baby. I fiddled with the ring around my finger and remembered what the elderly woman told us. I noticed that the taste of the juice still lingered in my mouth. We finished the drinks even before dinner started and kept the bottles in the chest the headmistress gave us. My eyes started to shut while the sound of the girls' soft snoring, thunder and rain filled my ears. I went into a deep sleep, thinking about what tomorrow brings.

__________________________

Author's Note:

Thank you reading the prologue of Felingore: The Prophecy of the Four Rings

Many more events are on their way~

I will try to add a songs and pictures that are inspired by each chapter~

[Credits to owners]

I hope you like it

Vote.Comment.

Kianaxx