i'll always be here

It had been a long day. Mia had been at home doing jobs around the house. Herself and Charlotte had recently bought a house together; it was a 2 story brick house. It incorporated a mix of both Charlotte and Mia's taste, bold and sophisticated, as well as elegant and minimalistic, it perfectly complimented each of their personalities. They loved finally being able to spend every moment together, it had been a long time coming, but they wouldn't have it any other way.

Mia had found herself to be struggling lately, but she hadn't been able to bring herself to tell Char. She wasn't really sure why, she knew her lover would move moutains to be there and support her through anything, no matter what. However, in Mia's eyes, she had to do this alone.

Mia's mind had been running wild all day, she couldn't pinpoint exactly what was bothering her, but she could feel the pain weighing her down. She could feel the tears stinging her eyes, but refused to let them fall. She felt numb, but could feel every emotion at the same time. It confused her, and she wasn't sure what to do.

A few hours had passed and Mia's desperate need to distract herself was not working. She'd cleaned the entire house, had done all the washing, as well as go for a walk. No matter what she did, her mind wouldn't bring her the peace she craved. As she glanced at the time, it read 6:10pm, Char would be nearly home. Mia took a deep breath, composing herself as she reapplied the mask she used to hide her emotions. It was tiring, but it was easier to tell everyone she was fine, than face the reality and the feelings that were bubbling at the surface.

As the front door unlocked, Mia turned her head to see her sweetheart walking in, Char quickly dropping her handbag and keys on the bench and taking her shoes off. She made her way over to Mia and sat next to her on the sofa. They shared a loving kiss.

"Hello sweetheart, how was work." There was a lack of emotion behind the red heads words and Charlotte picked up on that instantly. Her eyebrows furrowed as she looked deep into Mias eyes.

"It was good..." Charlotte paused, holding her eye contact with the red head, trying to read any emotion in her eyes, "...are you okay Mia?" Mia couldn't help but look down as she felt the lump in her throat reappear. The mask was falling and she was silently trying to fix it. She tried to reply, but her words failed her, instead all that could escape was a croak as her voice broke. Char cupped Mias face in her hands, turning her towards her once again. The red heads eyes were glistening and she could tell Mia was seconds from breaking.

"My sweet, what's wrong?" Charlotte's voice was laced with worry, it wasn't often that she saw Mia upset, she knows how much her girlfriend tries to hide her feelings away, but she knew there was something on her mind. She knows she can't be strong forever, she shouldn't have to be, and deep down, Mia knew that too.

As she took a deep breath, she replied, "it's nothing really. Shall I get you something to eat Char? I bet you're starving." Mia began to pull herself off the sofa, but Charlotte was quick to grab a hold of her wrist guiding her back down to where she was sitting. "Amelia. Look at me." Charlottes voice was so soft, it sent a shock right through Mia's heart. She never understood what she did to deserve the love she received from the brunette, but here she was, pleading with herself not to breakdown in front of her.

Mia's lip began to tremble, she desperately was trying to look away, but Charlotte was determined to keep her looking at her. She knew her girlfriend was close to breaking point, and oh how she wanted to allow her to be vulnerable. Mia had always been there for Charlotte when things got tough, and she wanted to be able to show the red head her caring nature. Though Charlotte would never pressure her lover into speaking, she knew that Mia wanted to open up, she just needed a slight push, and the brunette knew she needed to tread carefully.

As words began to fail both of them, Charlotte instinctively pulled Mia in for a hug, wrapping her arms around her, holding on tight. The red head tensed up at first, before quickly relaxing, no longer able to hold herself together. The tears began to fall, and all Charlotte could do was hold her tighter, slowly rubbing her hand up and down her back. Mia was shaking in Charlotte's touch, the months of emotions she'd been bottling up, was rapidly escaping. Part of Mia was happy that it was finally happening, as much as she knew she would be worrying Char, the fact she had fallen apart in her arms had broken the ice, meaning she didn't need to find the words to explain how she was feeling. It was indeed a bittersweet moment.

As Charlotte attempted to soothe Mia, rocking her back and forth and holding her tight, she quietly whispered words in her ear; reminding her she was okay, that she was safe, and that they'd get through this together. The couple sat in each other's embrace for what felt like an eternity. There was a comfortable silence that filled the room. Mia slowly began to relax, continuing to hold on tight to the brunette. Her eyes were drying and her cries were becoming sniffles.

The two pulled away, Charlotte holding Mia's face in her hands again. Her eyes were red and puffy from the crying, but a smile slowly crept across the red heads face. It made Charlotte so happy to see her girlfriend smile. It was her favourite thing.

Charlotte placed a gentle kiss on Mia's cheek before putting her hands into her lovers. Their fingers intertwining.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Mia hesitated, knowing that even though she'd just let most of her emotions leave her body, she was mere seconds from falling apart again.

"It's okay baby. I just needed to have a cry. My mind has been running rampant and just having you hold me has helped." Charlotte tilted her head slightly, still trying to read the emotion in Mia's eyes. She was struggling, but there was more light in them than there was before.

"Mia, you know I'm always here for you. No matter what time of day, where we are, I'll always be here for you." Mia pulled Charlotte in for another hug, holding her tight. She lost herself in the brunettes touch, she was unable to explain the sense of safety Charlotte brought her. But she would be grateful for it until her final days on Earth.

"Shall we order some food sweetheart?" Charlotte grinned, she knew that if Mia wanted to talk about what was going on, she would. As long as Mia knew Charlotte would be by her side forever, she'd wait. The love they shared was unmatched, and they were drunk in love. It was special bond neither of them had ever shared with anyone else. No matter what life threw at them, and what struggles they were faced with, they'd  stand by each other's side, forever and always.