chapter 5 The search for answers

Maria couldn't shake the feeling of dread that had settled over her after leaving the barn. The key, the journal, the photographs—all pointed to a tangled web of secrets and lies. She knew she needed to uncover the truth about Emily's disappearance and death, but she also realized she had to be careful. The people involved were dangerous, and she couldn't trust anyone completely. She starts making a list of everybody involved.

List of People Involved in Emily's Disappearance and Death

David - A former friend of Emily who had a heated argument with her on the day she disappeared. He seems to be hiding something and is involved in secretive activities.

Sarah - Another friend from high school who was present at the party. She appeared concerned but was also evasive about her knowledge of that night.

Tom - A friend who acted protectively towards Emily on the night she disappeared. His behavior was noted to be suspicious by Sarah.

Jessica - A friend who wrote the letter to Emily, which was filled with guilt and regret. She was also part of the group but seems to have been involved in the events surrounding Emily's disappearance.

Victoria - A friend who had a cryptic response during the reunion, suggesting she might have deeper thoughts or concerns related to Emily's disappearance.

Andrew - Another former friend who seemed uneasy at the reunion. His exact role is unclear but he was part of the group present during the that night.

Jake - A friend who, like the others, was part of the group and appeared to be distant or uncooperative during the reunion.

Lucas - A mysterious figure mentioned in Emily's journal. His identity and role are unclear, but he seems to have been a source of fear for Emily.

Maria leaned back in her chair, staring at the list of names. Each person held a piece of the truth, and it was up to her to put it all together. She couldn't trust anyone completely, but she was determined to find out what really happened to Emily.

Maria began her investigation by searching through social media profiles of her old classmates and their friends, looking for any mention of Lucas. Hours passed as she meticulously combed through posts and photos. Finally, she stumbled upon a photo tagged with "Lucas" from one of the high school parties. He was standing next to David, looking casual and friendly.

Maria decided to reach out to Andrew, hoping he might know more about Lucas. She dialed his number, and after a few rings, he answered.

"Hello?"

"Andrew, it's Maria. I need to talk to you about something important can we meet

There was a pause on the other end of the line. "Alright," Andrew finally said. "Where do you want to meet?"

"How about the coffee shop near the old high school? I'll be there in 30 minutes."

"Okay, see you there."

The coffee shop was quiet when Maria arrived. She chose a table in the corner and waited, her mind racing with questions and possibilities. Andrew walked in a few minutes later, looking older and more worn than she remembered. He spotted Maria and walked over sitting down.

"Maria," he said, "it's been a long time."

"It has," she agreed. "Thank you for meeting me."

Andrew leaned back in his chair. "So, what's this about

Andrew's expression darkened. "Yeah, I know Lucas. He was a friend of David's. They were pretty close back in high school."