What did we even know about each other anyway?

Elena could hardly believe it as she ran into the police station. Apparently Phoebe, Ray and Podcast had gone to do some investigating at the library, and ended up destroying one of the statues there.

Phoebe stood up and looked at her when she arrived. "I tried to text you- where have you been!?" She snapped before Elena could even utter a word.

"Where have I been?" Elena hissed in disbelief. "What about you!? Destroying part of the library- what were you thinking!?"

"It was an accident." Phoebe snapped. "We were trying-"

The mayor walked in, clapping sarcastically. "Magnifique! As far as fiasco's go, this was just dynamite." He sassed at Phoebe.

Phoebe scowled, crossing her arms furiously.

"Why don't you just back off?" Winston huffed.

"I just want to thank her. For 40 years I've been waiting to say these words: The Ghostbusters are finished!" The mayor all but cheered. "Your firehouse has been condemned, your packs are in a police lock up, they'll be melted down for scrap by morning and just wait until I get a hold of your car." He listed off.

Elena's eyes widened in horror at the news. She almost set her hand on Phoebe's shoulder to try and give her some sort of comfort, but Phoebe was stepping towards the mayor angrily in a heartbeat.

"The last time you tried to shut us down you created a crossrip into another dimension!" She hissed.

"Watch out kiddo, that sounds a lot like slander. That's a time punishable by time in prison, so let me ask you Miss Spengler, are you going to behave or do I need to have you arrested?"

Elena pinched the bridge the spot between her eyes with exhaustion.

She...didn't even need to glance at Phoebe to know where this was going.

~

Elena stormed into the enclosed room with Phoebe's parents. They were kind enough to let her come with to speak with her. They arrived just as the guard removed Phoebe's handcuffs.

"Wow, we really thought you were gonna choose behave." Gary admitted.

"Phoebe what were you thinking?" Elena asked sadly as she approached.

Phoebe looked at her for a moment. And for once, Elena couldn't tell at all what she was thinking.

And then, Phoebe finally hissed out a reply, almost in a whisper. "Don't pretend like you even care. You've been giddy at the idea of me no longer being a ghostbuster. Looks like you win."

Elena's eyes widened. Her shoulders slowly began to slump in disbelief at Phoebe's words. 

"You don't mean that, Pheobe." Callie cut in tiredly.

Phoebe scoffed. "If you weren't a Spengler, you'd be answering our phones." She snapped.

"Excuse me?" Callie sneered.

"Don't talk to her like that." Gary told her firmly.

Phoebe looked at him. "Are you serious?"

"I'm very serious. And you shouldn't talk to your girlfriend like that either." He snapped. "She's your girlfriend, and she's your mom. If you weren't being so selfish, you might notice that me, her, your mom and brother have be doing whatever we can to protect you, SO WAKE UP!"

Phoebe stared them down silently, before finally storming out of the room.

Elena watched her walk away hesitantly, before gritting her teeth and running after her. "Phoebe, wait a minute-"

She tried to set her hand on Phoebe's shoulder, but Phoebe turned on her heel and smacked Elena's hand away. "Don't touch me!" She demanded, tears flooding her eyes.

Elena frowned deeply, retracting her hand. "Phoebe...it's going to be okay-"

"Yeah right! You mean it'll be okay for you!" Phoebe hissed tearfully. "I'm not stupid, Elena, despite what you seem to believe. You think I don't notice your disappointment when I bring up anything to do with ghostbusting?"

Elena's eyes narrowed, hands balling into fists at her sides. "Maybe I'd be more enthusiastic about it if you also made time for me!" She snapped, tears forming in the corners of her eyes. "For the last three years it has always been Ghostbusters first, and me second. You spend every moment of everyday thinking about ghostbusting, and- and then forget about me like- like I don't even exist!" 

"BECAUSE GHOSTBUSTING IS WHAT I'M MEANT TO DO!" Phoebe shouted angrily. "EVEN MELODY UNDERSTOOD THAT AND SHE'S A GHOST!"

"She's using you!" Elena hissed. "Which I've been wanting to talk to you about for ages now but I never seem to get the chance because you couldn't care less about anything I have to say!"

"AND YOU CARE ABOUT WHAT I HAVE TO SAY!?" Phoebe nearly shrieked as tears rolled down her cheeks. "YOU CAN'T EVEN UNDERSTAND HOW IMPORTANT THIS ALL IS TO ME. IF YOU CAN'T EVEN UNDERSTAND THAT THEN...THEN WHAT DOES THAT SAY ABOUT YOU AND ME!?"

Elena fell silent for a moment at that, her own tears rushing down her face. "I guess it means we really don't know each other at all."

Phoebe stared at her, panting for breath after all her yelling. Her eyebrows pinched at Elena's words, like she couldn't believe what she was hearing.

Elena bit her lip, hugged herself and turned towards the door. "...Bye Phoebe."

She left the station, and she didn't look back.

~

Elena spent the next hour back at her aunt's, sobbing and shoveling ice cream into her mouth while watching romantic tragedies on the TV. Thankfully her aunt was at work and didn't get to see her rather pathetic display.

That's when her phone buzzed, and she saw it was Podcast. She groaned and ate another bite of ice cream before answering. "'m not redy tu tlk 'bout it, P'dcast!" 

"This isn't about you and Phoebe, this is about your destiny. Get over here pronto, Firemaster."

Elena's eyebrows furrowed, some of her tears fading as she tried to understand Podcast's words. "...Fire-what?"