#2

Chapter 1

Home of the Chimi — and blue giants

Holy mountain...

That was Ace's first thought as he powered towards the island on his skid.

The island was big enough for an island in the New World, however, what set it apart was the gargantuan mountain that stood tall at its center. Much of the jagged mountain disappeared well above the clouds, leaving its height and summit up to Ace's imagination.

Snow dusted every tree, mountain, and hill, ice beginning to dot the water as he skid across. Without the mera mera no mi, Ace was sure he'd be freezing in the harsh winds stinging his freckled face. However, even if he only dawned an unbuttoned yellow shirt and shorts, Ace felt comfortable amidst the cold. He was his own personal heater, after all.

"Huh... So this is Yeti island?" Ace sniffed, arching his neck to follow the towering mountain up into the clouded sky.

His skid suddenly gave a loud thump as it sailed straight into a wall of frozen sea. It seems like even the surrounding waters felt the effects of the cold.

"Didn't expect so much ice."

Though a minor setback, Ace didn't think he'd be getting his skid into the docks — not with so many sheets of ice blocking the way forward.

"Looks like I'll have to walk," He sighed after a moment, crouching down to frown at the ice scraping against his Skid's hull. Straightening back up, he rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "But how do I tie it down... Ah!"

Just a few meters away, he saw two small foxes darting around the snow. Their brilliant orange fur streaked against the white cotton snow as they lunged and jumped, crying out in laughter as they chased each other about.

That would work.

With a rope, he slowly approached the two foxes, who paused to stare up at him in shock, their eyes going round as they screeched.

"Could you guys help me with something?" Ace asked suddenly, making the foxes flinch and slowly creek their necks towards each other uncertainly, as if to make sure they were both hearing the same thing. "See my skid over there? Would you mind holding onto it for me? It would be a big help."

Ace stepped back to point to his skid, which was rocking repeatedly against the ice thanks to slow rolling waves.

With narrowed eyes, the foxes whipped around, huddling together as they whispered tiny squeaks — as if Ace could understand them to begin with.

He gave them a curious frown, but stood patiently along the snowbank, his arms folded neatly across his chest.

Minutes passed, and the first fox, the one with a large, stitched scar running down the length of its face gave a winning smirk. The other, who wore a distinct eye patch gave a thumbs-up to Ace, wearing a matching grin.

"Seriously? Thanks a lot!"

.

.

.

Ace strutted away from the open sea, his emerald, tiger print duffle bag slung over his shoulder.

I can't truly say what he'd been thinking... but tying the skid to a bunch of foxes to act as land anchors seems... to work just fine. What a great idea!

Ace grinned, glancing over his shoulder to wave the two canids goodbye.

"I'll be back in a few days! I left some fish and water for you on the skid!" Ace cried, grinning. "Thanks again, I won't forget this!"